how to make bootcamp dual boot prompt come up automatically?

pk5

Reaction score
hi everyone

is there anyway to make the dual boot prompt screen come up automatically without holding down the option or menu button on the remote?

thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not at this time. At least none documented that I have been able to find. You can change the one you want to boot by default.

Reaction score
boot menu

Hi,

When I first installed Bootcamp and Windows XP, the boot menu came up every time. After I reinstalled Mac OS X (to recover from catastrophe) it boots automatically to Mac OS X.

Go figure.

Reaction score
I had the menu come up automatically every time unit I used Mac OS X to choose the Mac OS as my default on startup. I can't seem to figure out a way to make it go back to always offering the menu. Not a problem for me personally as I rarely boot to WinXP, but sorry I couldn't figure out the solution ...

Reaction score
How do you make it default to either one of the OSs? I want to run OSX 90% of the time, but it has XP as the auto default right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
There was an article on an alternative boot loader somewhere that included an option to always show the OS selection screen, but I can't seem to find it at the moment...

Anyone?

Reaction score
try refit

i came from the pc world and was real nervous about putting bootcamp on my shiny new macbook pro (after reading all the horror stories). at any rate, i installed refit and bootcamp and it works flawlessly. whether on initial boot or even if i restart the OS, i choose which to go to. real easy to do mac work, then logoff/restart, and switch over to pc. pretty quick too.

havent had any problems thus far. bluetooth, mighty mouse everything works on mine, so refit didnt mess me up at all. YMMV.

no affiliation.
http://refit.sourceforge.net/

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you actually gotten a bluetooth mouse to function in windows? Where did you get the bluetooth drivers since Boot Camp does not include them on the driver CD it creates.

PS. Have not read all the documentation on refit yet, so if it's in there I should find it.

Reaction score
hmm, not really sure...

...i could have sworn it came across with the driver cd, but if you checked that, i dont know. but as i think about it, i didnt have a sp2 disc, so i used the slipstream method. i updated my sp2 on my pc, the[n,] along with my xp disc, created a "new" xp sp2 disc that i used to install xp on the mbp.

i'm pretty sure it [the driver] didnt come with refit. at any rate, yes, the mighty mouse works and i can even connect my windows mobile smart phone to sync using the missing sync from marc space. there is a bit of a delay (about 5-10secs) once i turn the mouse on, but after that, smooth sailing.

hope that helps.

Reaction score
Got a little issue of my own... hoping someone smarter than me had a word of advice. I installed boot camp, partitioned the hard drive, and then while installing Windows (not know how much battery this hogged) at 95% my laptop power went out (my luck). I plugged in the Macbook and then the laptop proceeded to install the os... while I'm thinking oh good it's doing it automatically like it would have or just almost did. It installed fine... I installed the drivers. Turned off the laptop... next time I turned it on I had no option to run the Mac OS. I tried every key command but every Mac command gave me the screen with the option to boot in save mode. I tried holding down x to force boot mac... it booted windows... tried holding down command... booted windows... I tried holding command control shift delete... booted windows...

I reinstalled the Mac os and spent the day putting the programs back on it. I tried boot camp again tonight and it gave me no option to reinstall windows... it went straight to the operating system as if I'd put in a selfboot disc. Can someone please offer me some advice on how to get OSX back without completely reinstalling the os?!?!? Before I throw my brand new macbook out the window?!?

Reaction score
Hold down the Option (Alt) key when you boot. That brings up the boot option menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
How do you make it default to either one of the OSs? I want to run OSX 90% of the time, but it has XP as the auto default right now.

Go into the Startup Disk system preference in OS/X (or if you've installed the Boot Camp drivers, there will be a Startup Disk control panel in XP) and specify a startup volume. One of your options should be your boot camp partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.