"Cloning" hard drive for use in another mac??? HELP!!

Reaction score
OK, here goes nothing....

Here is what I got, a Mac Mini running 10.4 and an old Blue and White G3 (450 mhz) running 10.2.

What I'm trying to do is to get 10.4 on my G3 (which has no DVD drive).

Problems....
I no longer have to original 10.4 DVD (loaned it to my brother a year ago....the jerk has since lost it..)

I tried to boot in FireWire Target Disk mode, but it didn't work. I think I read somewhere that the G3 is too old for that.

Solution?....
Here is what I'm thinking of doing (here is where you come in).

I have an external firewire drive. The plan is to buy a new hard drive for the G3, put that into the firewire drive, clone my Mac Mini hard drive to the new drive. Pull it out of the firewire drive and install in the G3.

Questions?
Will this work? Will I have problems trying to use the clone of my hard drive from the mini in a different hardware configuration?

What should I use to clone the hard drive? Please note...I know just enough to be dangerous, so as far as opening up a terminal and typing in some code...I'd shy away from that. I'm looking for an easy GUI way of doing it...any suggestions?

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance guys!!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The easiest way to do this is get firewire DVD burner and a full load of OS X 10.4. The version of 10.4 on your Mac mini may not have all of the binaries you need for the G3.

OP
whalerboy
Reaction score
Update!!!!

Woo hoo!!!!!

I deceided it was worth a shot to give it a go. Copied my Mac Mini HD with carbon copy cloner to a hard drive I temporarily put in my external firewire drive.

I took the drive out of the external case, installed it in the G3. Booted right up.

Reaction score
That's amazing, I would have put money on that not working. I guess OS X is more forgiving than XP! haha.. Guess it didn't cost ya anything to give it a shot, and it ended up paying off. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.