New macbook owner: a couple of questions about Yahoo mail and mac system?

Reaction score
I just bought a new macbook and am still learning it.

1) I use Yahoo mail. on a pc when I start entering a name from my address book or a nickname the name would autofill. ON the mac it does not which is really annoying. Is there a setting i can change on Safari.

2) Is there an outlook equivalent i can use for the mac which can be synched up with Yahoo via yahoo sync?

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

1- The AutoFill feature is found in Safari preferences under the AutoFill tab.

To access the Safari preferences just do Command (Apple key) + , (comma) or you can go to the menubar and click on Safari then scroll down to Preferences....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro... 2.33GHz C2D, 2 gb ram. 120gb hd. 250gb external firewire HD
Iw oudl just use Mail too... Especially since you have an ISP that gives you email addresses. However, Yahoo's mail can be autofilled as well... See previous poster....

OP
E
Reaction score
Actually, the problem is not with the autofill on Safari but the autofill on Yahoo mail when opened in Safari. The address book is in Yahoo and normally in both IE and Firefox (in XP) the complete address appears when I type in the first part (from Yahoo itself)
I dont know why this feature wont work in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
You could just use firefox??

Reaction score
Safari is actually a good browser and very stable. But it doesn't support all the dynamic content that's out there these days. Firefox or Camino is a good choice for that kind of thing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I just bought a new macbook and am still learning it.

1) I use Yahoo mail. on a pc when I start entering a name from my address book or a nickname the name would autofill. ON the mac it does not which is really annoying. Is there a setting i can change on Safari.

2) Is there an outlook equivalent i can use for the mac which can be synched up with Yahoo via yahoo sync?

Thanks

1) Over time, the autofill function on your old machine probably cached the addresses that you had commonly used while using Yahoo mail. As previously noted, you can also have Safari auto-fill those addresses, but it will need to "learn" those addresses over time. Either way, I'd strongly suggest you run Firefox instead of Safari - in my experience, it's a better all-around browser. In the meantime, you should check to make sure that Safari is set to auto-fill forms by going into preferences (Safari menu -> Preferences -> Autofill).

2) I believe Yahoo mail has a premium service that allows you to use a POP3 mail client to download your mail directly to Outlook. You can set Mail to do this as well, but the set up procedure would be different (I can't tell you how to do so, since I don't subscribe to the premium version). If you'd rather not pay for this feature, you can also use a program called "FreePOPs" which will allow you to sync any POP3 mail client with a number of different webmail services, including Yahoo mail. Check it out at http://www.freepops.org.

Once you install it, you simply need to set up a new POP3 mail account in Mail and then set the port to 2000 instead of the default of 110. This is done by going to Mail menu -> Preferences -> click + to add an account, 127.0.0.1 as server address, put your <username>@yahoo.com as the username and Yahoo Mail password. Then, go into the new account you just setup, go to Advanced and set port to 2000. Now, Mail will check your Yahoo mail account for new messages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I agree with everybody else and suggest using Firefox as well. I personally only used Safari to download a copy of Firefox and have been chugging away without a single problem ever since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 iMac, G5 iMac, Mac Mini C2D
I have sbcglobal dsl which comes with front end of Yahoo. So all my emails go through Yahoo, and I can access from anywhere on web.

But my main email program is MS Entourage (it is the OS X version of Outlook -- I have a like/dislike relationship with it ;), and I have it setup to grab mail off of my Yahoo account and download it to my Mac.

Re. autofill, first time through in many web browser programs there is no autofill 'memory/history' for it to autocomplete with.
In my use of Safari (as well as Firefox and Camino and others) they generally autofill for sites that I visit regularly -- unless the site has security settings to intentionally prevent autofill, such as some bill paying sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MDD DP 867, iBook G3 900, G3 300 Clamshell, Commodore 64, Abacus
happens in camino, too

i just happened upon this thread after googling: "yahoo mail" address book camino - as this has problem has been quite frustrating lately.

i thought it was a camino issue, and didn't realize that it also affected safari.

it does not appear to be a function of autofill (which, as I understand, is something your browser stores locally?), rather yahoo checks against your yahoo address book as you begin to type in an address .

the function appears to work when using firefox on my mac. i prefer camino to firefox, so i hope this issue is resolved in a new camino build.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2G RAM
But my main email program is MS Entourage (it is the OS X version of Outlook -- I have a like/dislike relationship with it ;), and I have it setup to grab mail off of my Yahoo account and download it to my Mac.

How did you set this up,when I try to verify it says that it can't verify my username and password for Yahoo mail....but I know its correct?

I just want to download my yahoo mail to Entourage....................if its possible.

Reaction score
autofill

Yes, open up Safari,click on Safari heading on menu bar, open up preferences, go to autofill tab, click 'Using info from my Address Book card'
and other forms.
Under other forms, select the edit button. you have type in the yahoo web page url in the box so Safari knows this is a page you want to use
If you are using mail for your mail you can also import your address book into mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.