Starting Clean

N

nycks1

I'm new to mac, I want to wipe the HD clean and do a fresh install of OSX. I just got a G4 466mhz 265mb of ram and monitor for $500.00 and it has OS9 on it. Can I do a clean install? If it's possilbe can some one run me thru it step by step? Thanks in advance

OP
E

.emo.

.zero all data.

.hmmmm with 9 put the install cd in.and hold the "c" key down until the background has little cds on it and then youll know you booting to the cd.after that happens go to the cd on your desktop and opent he utilities folder then go to disk utility and then in the menu there should be something with thats sais options. then in there there should be something that sias zero all data select it. close that window and click initalize depeding on how big the HD i s will depend on how long it takes i remember a 20 GB took about and hour so yah let it sit over night or something. after its done reboot and boot to the CD again and then open the "install mac os" in the step i gave you smething might be missing or out of place but i did that from memory so if you see something that you know you should do or soemthing liek that do it cause im not 100% sure those are the exact steps but i know then you want to get to zero all data then initialize.. give me an emial if you need help [email protected]

OP
C

Chamorro

It's pretty straightforward. Just insert the disc and follow the directions. Keep an eye open for any buttons besides Back and Continue, and select "Erase and Install".

OP
C

Chamorro

Chamorro said:
It's pretty straightforward. Just insert the disc and follow the directions. Keep an eye open for any buttons besides Back and Continue, and select "Erase and Install".

Also, you don't necessarily need to erase w/ zeroes. That would be more appropriate if you wanted to sell your computer and ensure the next owner won't find any of your stuff on the HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.