• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac-Compatible MiniDV Cams

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So I'm on the prowl for a MiniDV camcorder that is Mac compatible.. Not looking to spend a whole lot, it isn't professional footage. Just for snapshotsof thigns and making quick home movies with.

The only requirement is that it needs to be Mac-Compatible and be able to work with iMovie/iDVD.

I've tried searching the forums with no avail, and google has nothing under $600 CDN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
any miniDV camera you want will be mac compatible, as long as its new... the really old models did not had firewire, but as of now you can not buy one with out a firewire and that is the only requirement that imovie has. So pick the one you can afford that you like the most.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Oh wicked.. That saves me the headache.. Firewire is definetly a must-have, obviously for iMove, but for data transfers as well. Thanks!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Ive the Panasonic NV-GS75, works a treat!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I do all my video on a Canon Optura 20, and it's great. It's a couple years old, but it gets the job done.

The key is to make sure it has firewire, as PowerbookG4 said.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.