Browning Palm Rest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
So I've had my MacBook for 5 months now and I've always had a Marware protector pad on the palm rest and although my actual macbook's rests aren't brown the marware pad is brown. I'm thinking about taking the pad off and i want to know if I can take it off and not worry about the macbook turning brown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
no, if you remove it and then use it consitently the mac book with probally turn brown aswell. Its just from use, but what i would suggest is taking of the protector pad and replacing it with another new one. so it protects your comp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
wash your hands more :)

i am annoyed i had my macbook for 3 days and the space bar key is already showing wear, for $1800 canadian you would think apple could use some better not so crappy plastics.

Reaction score
clean it. I use something called klasse all in one. I use it on my car ///M3 and on my 997. I used it to coat every nook and cranny on my mac book.
It leaves everything feeling slick and the outside of my mac has a beautiful glossy shine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I heard about this problem before and if your macbook turns brown the solution that some people have used is the Mr. Clean Magic eraser. It worked with my used iMac I bought that had yellow discoloration from being in a smoking home. Nothing else seemed to work except for that magic eraser. Magic Indeed.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've never had protectors on the palm rests of my white macbook. they're still as white as when i got it 3-4 months ago.

Reaction score
I've heard about white macbooks discolouring, so I'll be wiping my down at least once a week to prevent any sort of buildup that could discolour the plastic. Macbooks are too sex to be dirty. :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
Ladies And Gentlemen, i have 3.5 words that will solve your problem

Mr Clean Magic Eraser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
You could go and buy a special product, or you gould just clean your hands, something you should do anyways. lol! I knew this one friend afew years ago, she used to not let him touch the computer unless he washed his hands.... a bit extreame, but hey, if he had a white macbook, i bet it'd be white years in the future!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz
I'm sorry, but when I wash my hands, I don't wash my wrists. The majority of time before using my macbook, I do wash my hands, however, where my wrists and palms rest, it is still discoloring. So really, by saying wash your hands is not a solution.

Personally, I use iKlear on my screen once a week, and i also use it on the area where my palms/wrist rest. There is still discoloration, but I like to think that it helps it a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
im not sure if iklear cleans the plastic areas on the macbook, because I use in those areas as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Alum 20'' 2.4GHz | iMac G4 | iPod Silver Nano 2GB
I believe Apple's aware of the discoloration on the 'top case' I'd take it to your nearest Service Provider and get a new one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Sorry, I didnt realize my post came across so snotty! I was just trying to make a joke. I've noticed lots of apple white products discolouring over time. Look at the cords on the ipod headphones, those discolour so fast! But really, white stuff whether it be ipod, macbooks, imacs, emacs or even other white products will all discolour over time with use. Sad but true. Its cool that something so common as the magic eraser helps clean the browning! Too bad best buy didnt clean their macbooks! Ever seen how dirty they look?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
True, but I mean... I would clean off displays and even dusty products where I work. I mean who wants to buy a dirty product? Or ask about the "dirty little mac over there" Almost a set up, dont ya think?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.