Kernel Panics...17" Powerbook. Suggestions?

Reaction score
I bought a used 17" Powerbook, and have discovered that it has been mishandled & likely dropped. Not much that I can do about it now...:mad:
I've had frequent Kernel Panics, and have finally isolated them to movement of the machine.
If I lift the Powerbook with the screen in the upright position, the slight flexing of the base that occurs, guarantees a Kernel Panic.
This would indicate a bad connection, or a compromised board/hardware component somewhere, right?
Are hardware-related failures logged?
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if you are confident in taking it apart, I would do so and tighten the connection.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the quick response!
I've gotten deep into G3's with success, so opening this up doesn't worry me.
You say 'tighten the connection'....
Is there a specific connection that comes to mind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
In my last powerbook if i remember correctly, there was a wire going from the display to the graphics card, it is that wire that i believe is loose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Sorry, to here you got scammed™, mate. :(

OP
J
Reaction score
Found the culprit!

As I guessed this was a hardware issue. As PowerbookG4 suspected it was a connection issue. Thanks for giving me the confidence to go after what turned out to be a very simple fix.
The problem was that the push-in plug at the end of the ribbon going over the hard drive had worked itself loose (sorry for not using the correct name....I don't know it).
See the first picture below.
The ribbon goes over the hard drive (or is that the airport card??) and takes an unnatural bend over the edge of the hard drive to the plug.
See the second picture below.
There was no padding on top of the plug that would slightly compress under the cover and hold the plug in place. If there isn't supposed to be one, this is a design flaw in my opinion.
I've figured out how this problem developed and worsened:
When I lifted the Powerbook with the display in the upright position, I would hold it at both front corners and gently lift.
This is not a good idea. Due to the thinness of this unit, there's too much flex in the case, and subsequent loosening of components occurs.
The proper way to lift this is by holding it at the middle of the sides - not the forward corners - which is the natural thing to do.
What further compounded the problem was that the four T6Torx screws that hold the display to the cast aluminum frame were quite loose. I suppose that this occurs over time.
Aside from keeping the open/close motion of the display snug, I've discovered that these screws are crucial in adding rigidity to the entire chassis of this Powerbook.
When they are loose, there's way too much flex in the chassis when lifted, and the integrity of the plug connection that I mention above is the first casualty.
Snugging these screws should be a maintenance item whenever the cover is removed.

Powerbook innards 006.jpg

Powerbook innards 005.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Way to go locating the problem and fixing it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.