Firefox Bookmarks Favicon Display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
All of the talk in this forum over the last few days regarding the Sunrise browser (and an earlier post on Omniweb) got me playing around with Firefox and Camino again.

I have a question on Firefox. A search of these forums turned up no answers. In Safari, Camino and even Firefox on every other OS I have used it on, the browser displays the site's icon beside its entry in the bookmarks list. If the entry in the book mark list is a folder of other URLs, it shows a folder icon. This is very helpful. Under Mac OS X however, Firefox doesn't seem to display these site icons beside the bookmark entry.

Is this just on my machine, or are other people experiencing this issue?

If other people are having Firefox show these site icons, is there perhaps some magic setting that I don't have set properly?

Any and all help appreciated!

Reaction score
Just a quick point ... do you have the latest FireFox for intel ... it's called BonEcho but is still the good old FireFox we love...don't really know why it's BonEcho, might be something to do with being Beta DK.

Anyway I checked it out and I have the folder/site icon in the correct place in my Bookmarks.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point - I should have mentioned that I am running the latest Firefox, 1.5.0.9. I am on a PowerMac G5, so the Intel version won't help, unless it is a Universal. I will check it out - thanks for the tip.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8, I hunted up the latest BonEcho and the author had PowerMac G5 optimized versions as well as Intel. I downloaded the latest and tried it and it worked like a champ. Very, very fast, AND it had the site and folder icons as they should be in the Bookmarks menu. I am not sure why the stock Firefox doesn't do this, but it doesn't, and the BonEcho build does. Thanks! Problem solved.

To all the other readers, as you know, Firefox is open source software. This means that anyone can pick up the source and build derivatives of it themselves. That is what this BonEcho build is. Someone has taken the Firefox source and done some optimizing on it for both PPC and Intel chips. To get the latest, go to:

http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2006/12/24/firefox-2001

Why "BonEcho"? He can't call the result "Firefox", since that name is already in use (!). I am not sure how he picked "BonEcho", but as Pulse-8 says, it is the Firefox we all know and love. Try it out, it seems significantly faster than the stock offer.

Reaction score
hey somthing completely off subject of your post but, why Arch Linux, I'm not insulting it or anything, just wondering why it would be good enough to be on your machine. I havn't tried it, just wondering what it's perks are. Also, ubuntu 6.10 OWNZ 6.06 if you wanted to upgrade it's worth it. ^_^

Reaction score
Well I've noticed that when I bookmark a page in Firefox, the icon is not added until I again visit the page through the actual bookmark. So go to the page, bookmark it, then go to bookmarks and click the page you just bookmarked. Then the icon shows up, at least for me anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.