bypass admin password when adding to applications

Reaction score
recently i had a little problem with my powerbook and had to use applejack to do some repairs.

everything is working good now but for some reason whenever i drag an app into the "applications" folder from my non admin account im asked for my admin username and password. i never had this happen before, and its become somewhat of a nusence.

is there someway to bypass this so I can just drag to my hearts content? thanks!

Reaction score
This is what happens for me too ... BTW do you know the admin password/username?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
This is supposed to happen in non-admin accounts. There is no way to bypass it. It is part of the reason why the OS is very secure

OP
E
Reaction score
I do know the admin password so its not a huge issue. the reason I ask is that before I had to go and repair my permissions and everything - this didn't happen. I was not an administrator but I was never prompted for my username/password.

M

MacHeadCase

Well this is the way it's supposed to be. Before the permissions on your Mac were broken. Heck! I have an Admin account on my iMac and I have to type in the admin password to install stuff! Like TM said, this makes for a very secure OS.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Sounds like the permissions on the application folder was open to all. Then you ran repair permissions which, restored it back to the proper settings. Which now is causing you your problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Relatively new notebook here, just over a week old and new to Mac. Out of the 20 or so programs I have installed, the ones where you just drag and drop to the applications folder, have never had to put in the admin password. I have had to put in the password, I think, primarily with programs that have self installers and are writing to any of the system folders, ex. Open Office.

M

MacHeadCase

Yes. Installers will need the password. Installing from .dmg won't necessarily need the password before installation. Thanks for bringing up the clarification, bobtomay.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just wanted to make sure mine was working right. Thnx

Reaction score
the work around if you still need it is to make a folder called Applications in YOUR home folder. move the applications you want to install there. No admin password needed. Your user will be the only one able to use that app. it will not be available to the other users with this method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.