Itunes won't play next song

Reaction score
When I am running Itunes, and press the 'next [or previous] song' button, I get nothing, no music, no song selection. Instead I just get the apple logo where the song info should be.

I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this problem... Reinstalled Itunes, selecting specific playlists rather than main music folder, turning off & restarting computer, Toggling Random [single, and all], Shuffle, and looking through any preferences that seem to be applicable.

Now I am at a loss for two hours, and forced to either listen to music through my ipod, or manually select songs (which is a PIA with a large quantity of songs).

Your help is much appreciated.

FWIW, here are the specs to the hardware I am using: Windows XP professional, up-to-date as of November 2006, Dell Laptop, Itunes 7.0 (re-downloaded 1-1-07).

Also, one more thing, This seemed to start happening at the same time I was playing around with keyboard settings on a Logitech mx3200 keyboard/mouse combo. I was selecting 'next song' with the keyboard, which worked fine, and then hit a music-player button, which defaulted to opening up windows media player. I have no idea if this is related, as I did not immediately notice the problem until an hour or two after playing with the keyboard buttons (I could have just been zoning out and not noticed). I should point out that the problem still occurs when I disconnect the keyboard from the laptop.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Reaction score
Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the software that came with your keyboard , that is if you installed it in the first place....

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, I did. Also, the problem seemed to occur with the keyboard software uninstalled, and using just the laptop keyboard :(

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
just another short coming of windows ;)

I would put all the music on the ipod, erase all the songs off your computer, delete itunes and all files associated with it (and registry entries as well, which can be found by hitting windows+r and typing in regedit).. restart the computer, install itunes, then use a program (podutil is available on windows) to put the songs back into itunes.

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a similar problem and I came up with a solution- I'm not sure, though, if your problem has such a simple solution. I found that on my playlist, it wouldn't progress to the next song-- I kept having to press play and click on a different song; playing one fluid playlist wasnt possible. I realized that I needed to check off all the songs in order for it to go to the next one. Try selecting all the songs, right clicking (if you have Windows like me), and putting in "check all" or whatever comes up.

Other than that, im not sure :( Good luck!

Reaction score
I just unchecked my whole iTunes music library and after a song finished, iTunes just stopped playing. So to have continuous playback all songs must have a tick in the box directly to the left of the song title.

So heepofajeep, have a look to see if heyhey555's remedy fixes your problem.

Reaction score
Same problem but fixed indeed

I had the exact same issue. After putting all the checkmarks I can finally skip to the next song again.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a similar problem and I came up with a solution- I'm not sure, though, if your problem has such a simple solution. I found that on my playlist, it wouldn't progress to the next song-- I kept having to press play and click on a different song; playing one fluid playlist wasnt possible. I realized that I needed to check off all the songs in order for it to go to the next one. Try selecting all the songs, right clicking (if you have Windows like me), and putting in "check all" or whatever comes up.

Other than that, im not sure :( Good luck!

That did it... so it seems it was user error, lol.

Thank you guys very much for the help! Sorry for the lack of an update-- tonight is the first I have sat at my desk in over a week (very busy lately).

Thanks again!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
don't often leave rep for a guy with 1 post. ;)

Reaction score
SOLVED - iTunes playlist songs not auto-advancing

I think the numerous upgrades for iTunes whacked all playlists by removing the default checkmarks by ALL songs in ALL playlists.

The solution is to go to your playlist, press Ctrl-A to select all songs in playlist, then right-click to select Check Selection.

SB

Reaction score
hate to burst the bubble, but this is not a fix.
this is a hack, and i'll tell you why.
---
i am having the the same issue as the OP.
i have unchecked and rechecked my entire library.
it plays "continuously" when everything is checked.
i cannot sync my ipod when everything is checked.
i should not have to check songs unrelated to my
playlist to enable play-through.
---
Dear apple, fix your **** & come out with a 1tb iPod Plz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
hate to burst the bubble, but this is not a fix.
this is a hack, and i'll tell you why.

i cannot sync my ipod when everything is checked.
---
Dear apple, fix your **** & come out with a 1tb iPod Plz.

My library is also too large to sync to my ipod, so I set up a playlist called ipod sync, with just the tunes I want and can fit on the ipod - and instruct iTunes to sync just that music library

Reaction score
I have started having this problem recently. Although I just noticed that as long as I wasn't trying to repeat (any or all songs) or shuffle the issue goes disappears. The terrible side of that thou is when you have the same song title but by different artists I don't wish to hear the same song back to back. I really like the shuffle. :-(

So has anyone figured out what to do to fix this problem???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.