IP Printing

Reaction score
This is connected to my other thread about connecting our iMac to the server as in it is the same network and same iMac, etc.

Anyway, we have a networked printer (it's a Sharp MX something or other) that I want to get the iMac printing to.

From the iMac I can ping the printer no problems at all.

From any of the PC's I can set them up to do "IP Printing" but I can't seem to replicate this for the iMac.

I have set up the printer with the appropriate OS-X driver direct from Sharp's site and it finds and shows me the printers resources, including how much toner is left etc ... however when we go to print I hear the printer wind up as if getting ready to print, but it doesn't.

The company who do the 3rd party support have said we need to pay for a £300 addon to the printer to allow it to print from the Mac. Is this true?

If not, how can I get the iMac to talk to the printer please?

One thought was to setup a share on the server and get it to talk that way - would that be feasible?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.