wireless to cable

Reaction score
Hello, this may sound odd, but I use wireless for my laptop and cable for my pc, both macs. Well, my router has been having issues, and I tried connecting my laptop to the Internet with my cable, deosn't seem to work, I ran diagnostics but nothing, When I had cable installed a hile back, my computer just automatically connected, but not for the laptop. any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am a little confused about your question. Do you want to make your laptop wireless?

If you are having problems connecting to the network via ethernet check your wire, if its an old wire or twisted the wires could be crossed causing you problems. If you are not sure if its the wire or not, take the cable out of your windows box and plug it into your mac. Does it connect to the internet?

If you want it to be wireless does your router support wireless? If not look at the Apple Airport extreme / express (which ever supports what you want to do with it). Linksys also has good wireless routers and are recommended by many at these forums.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm trying to do just the opposite. I want to connect my laptop to the Internet via Ethernet Cable. However, when I unplug the cable from my pc and into my laptop it doesn't seem to let me online. In the past, I have only connecte to the Internet wireless, it seems to be stuck in that mode.... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hmm its suppose to do switch over automatically, have you ever used ethernet at all on your laptop? I would create a new location in your network settings for ethernet and see if that changes anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.