External DVD player recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
I'd like to watch DVDs on my Mini, but without wearing out the Superdrive. Not knowing much about the different types of DVD players, could someone recommend one that I could connect to my Mac so I can watch DVDs? Obviously, I'd like something portable and with USB/Firewire connectivity. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wearing out the Superdrive?

I've never heard of a dvd drive breaking from overuse...

But if you really think you need one, I personally use a LaCie dvd+-rw that is quite nice. Fairly quiet too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If you're really concerned about "wearing out" your SuperDrive (a longshot at best), I would suggest using MacTheRipper to copy the DVD to your hard drive and play it from the ripped version on your hard drive.

I think you're worried about nothing, to be honest. :)

Hope this helps!

M

MacHeadCase

Would the advantage of getting an external DVD only be read/write speed gains?

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
I realize my question was kind of dumb, not having used anything more than a non-computer DVD player to this point, so I wasn't aware that Superdrives playing DVDs were so resilient. Thanks for that insight.

However, I was also asking what I did because in the extremely rare case that there would be a problem, I'd rather not have to take my Mini in to get fixed since I live 2 hours away from the nearest Mac repair facility.

As for the Lacie DVD drive suggestion, I was thinking along the lines of more of an external drive instead of player, but I just needed confirmation. Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
If you're really concerned about "wearing out" your SuperDrive (a longshot at best), I would suggest using MacTheRipper to copy the DVD to your hard drive and play it from the ripped version on your hard drive.

That way ye burn out the hard drive instead lol

I think you're worried about nothing, to be honest. :)

I dont think he is, my brother knows some dodgy geezer who copys DVDs and he regularly has to buy new DVD writer due to them wearing out. Granted that is excessive use, for home useage you should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I realize my question was kind of dumb, not having used anything more than a non-computer DVD player to this point, so I wasn't aware that Superdrives playing DVDs were so resilient. Thanks for that insight.

However, I was also asking what I did because in the extremely rare case that there would be a problem, I'd rather not have to take my Mini in to get fixed since I live 2 hours away from the nearest Mac repair facility.

As for the Lacie DVD drive suggestion, I was thinking along the lines of more of an external drive instead of player, but I just needed confirmation. Thanks again for putting up with my ignorance!
The LaCie drive I suggested is basically just a superdrive in an external enclosure that you hook up via firewire or usb.

But even if the drive did break, you could always switch to an external drive then. It would be cheaper than replacing/fixing the internal drive and would have virtually 0 drawbacks.

Plus you get to save the money in the mean time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.