slight feedback -- HELP!!!

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm brand new to this whole garage band thing (and a mac!) and i'm trying to record from my electro acoustic...

i have my guitar going through an amp, which is connected to my macbook pro using a lead (not sure what they're called, but it goes into the input socket)

i have set garage band to take the audio from the input instead of the built in microphone and all seems to be working fine, except for there is slight feedback, well, like a buzzing sound.

if i connect my ipod instead of my amp, and record something off that it sounds perfect as if i just have headphones in but as soon as connect my amp, or my guitar without using the amp, i get a slight buzzing again!

can anybody help with this please?

thanks guys.

R.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Could be that you've got the input level cranked up too high. Either that or your cable is wonky. Sometimes, depending on the instrument pre-set that you are using in GB, you'll get a little static or buzz. Are you recording the guitar clean?

Check the level of you amp to make sure that it's not too loud. If you are going to record on a regular basis, I'd suggest getting a pre-amp of sorts that will act as a go between. I picked up a M-Audio PreUSB a few months back, and it's great. It boots the signal so that you get a good level coming in. And it's got two inputs so I can record on two channels at once. It's pretty slick.

Hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.