Academic Version???

M

marx7

I keep seeing "Academic" versions of FCP and DVD studio 2 on Ebay for half price. What's the difference in the retail and the academic?

OP
W

Wapa18

marx7 said:
I keep seeing "Academic" versions of FCP and DVD studio 2 on Ebay for half price. What's the difference in the retail and the academic?

academic versions are not to be used in a business to make money (but there's really no way they can check on that). but also, academic versions cannot be upgraded because they have special serial numbers that identify them as academic versions. for instance, if you buy FCP 3 Academic, you won't be able to buy the FCP 4 upgrade. you would have to buy the retail version to be able to upgrade. hope this clears it up, and sorry this was such a long post :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Wait a minute.. are you saying that when I was in college and purchsed software.. I wouldnt be able to upgrade after that? I would have to buy the complete package again? Im pretty sure they allow that since they try getting you to use their software in college when you got it cheap.. or at least less expensive, and then they get your upgrade money from then on... You cant get an academic upgrade price though.. which completly makes sense since the full version at academic pricing is usually cheaper then the upgrade price :)

OP
W

Wapa18

Murlyn said:
Wait a minute.. are you saying that when I was in college and purchsed software.. I wouldnt be able to upgrade after that? I would have to buy the complete package again? Im pretty sure they allow that since they try getting you to use their software in college when you got it cheap.. or at least less expensive, and then they get your upgrade money from then on... You cant get an academic upgrade price though.. which completly makes sense since the full version at academic pricing is usually cheaper then the upgrade price :)

you might be right. this is just how i've heard it explained. if it is the way that i said, then there might be a way to buy the full retail version for the difference between the two prices. i'm really not completely sure. i sure hope there is a way to upgrade cheaper though, as i have FCP 4 academic, and i don't want to shell out again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.