Graphics/Video Glitch Powermac G5 dual 2 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
For the love of all things good, could someone please tell me what's going on with my G5? :eek:neye:

I've been using it for 3/4 years straight, not a problem. I then transported home from work just before christmas, powered it up and got this!

SCREENSHOT 1

SCREENSHOT 2

I'm assuming something happened during the journey home, but I'm at a loss as to what. I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere, but I don't know where.

I've fiddled with the graphics card (radeon 9800 pro) had a good look inside, checked the connection I could reach, reset everything that could be reset and booted from various partitions and hard disks.

Randomly after a reset it was working perfectly without glitches, then I reset again and got the same problem. Because of this I am reluctant to shell out cash for a new graphics card until I know I have exhausted every other possibility.

Has anyone else seen this or can offer any advice. I would be eternally thankful.

Thanks loads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
From the look of the screenshots, my guess is that it is the video card or your monitor. Can you try this with another monitor just to be sure? If the problem persists, it is likely the video card. Of course it could be something even deeper, like the connections from the video card to the rest of the machine, but until you try changing the video card, you will not know.

Looks bad no matter what. I had something like this happen once to a PC I had, and it turned out to be the video card in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
What a Bummer!

johnnyluu,

Re image #1 you posted. . . is that an image stored in one of your onboard folders? — Or did it simply "materialize" from nowhere?

You say you've run all the diagnostics, so what you describe would seem to be hardware-related. If that's the case, pray that it's ONLY the GeForce 9800.

But just to make sure, have you:

>(In open firmware mode — restart while holding down cmd-opt-o-f) then, at prompt: reset-nvram (return) reset-all?

>( " " ) Reset PRAM? (opt-cmd-p-r during normal startup; wait for auto-restart and release keys)

>In single user mode (hold down cmd-s) — run a file check: /sbin/fsck -fy?

>Repaired permissions?

>Tried running disk repair from DVD by placing your OS X media in CD-ROM and restarting while holding down the "c" key?

> Tried going to ColorSync Utility.app in the Utilities folder and running Profile First Aid diagnostic?

>Tried removing the retaining screw that holds the GeForce 9800 card in place and removing the card for cleaning/reseating? A vacuum cleaner w/soft brush attachment does a pretty good job of lifting up dust bunnies from the logic board in places where the various cards are attached. Be gentle.

*Some say this is a bad course of action due to risk from static discharge. It's never caused any problems for me, however because I always ground myself first. I'd rather hazard the static than tolerate dust bunnies, haha. Your call.

>Run an aftermarket disk utility/repair program, such as DiskWarrior or OnyX?

Maybe the recent transport you mention jostled something loose. Have you checked all connections?

The G5 is easy to work on. Just lift it (if you can, haha; it's a porker) out of its bay [if that's not a good place work] and carefully set it on a table, etc. (You already know this stuff, I'd bet.)

I always lay my G5 on a bunk bed, open side up. It makes an ideal work platform with a 'soft landing.'

Hope this helps.

OP
johnnyluu
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Thanks all. Everyone seems to have the same idea as me so far. I shall persevere and see if I solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I would try a different video card, if you try another monitor and it still does this. I have seen many ATi cards suddenly die, oftentimes because they (Sapphire typically) use sorry cr*p quality coolers whose fans tend to go out and cause the GPU to overheat and either throw artifacts all over the place or just die. Is the fan on the video card heatsink (should be silver or black aluminum) spinning? Is it making weird noises or spinning erratically?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.