Onyx (need advice)

Reaction score
I've downloaded Onyx and am now wondering what everybody recommends as far as running this software.

I'm just not sure which things to run...

Parameters? (what exactly?)
Maintenance? Optimize?
Cleaning?

Actually I ran some of the stuff on my PowerBook G4 and got some good results with Safari...trouble iis I didn't write down exactly what I did so I can't duplicate the results on my G5.

Any advice would be appreciated.

M

MacHeadCase

Parameters are kinda like the program's prefs. It registers as it launches or upon quitting it, the changes you have entered the last time you used it.

Maintenance is for the maintenance tasks: a Unix system like Mac OS X is meant to be ON 24 hours a day, 7 says a week. Not asleep, ON. Unix comes from the Mainframe world where computers never shut down.

In the background every night around 3:30 a.m. it will self maintain itself: this is known as a daily task. Once a week it will perform upon itself a weekly task. Once a month it will run on itself a monthly task.

Now for all sorts of reasons, it isn't always possible for us Mac users to leave the computer on all day, all week, all year. Some of those reasons could be: consuming wasted electricity, being afraid of power outages which mess up the computer, overheating like the G5s would do, etc.

I have an iMac G5 and I can assure you, after being used to an iMac G4, this thing gets a little hot. So these programs take over the maintenance tasks that were meant to be run but never could because the Mac was shut down or asleep when you run them manually.

Caches. Well these are meant to help the computer access certain files, webpages, etc. faster because they are partially stored in those cache folders. The problem with cache is, if it isn't cleaned out once in a while, the folders grow and grow (take a lot of disk space) and can corrupt which gives the computer or the application with the faulty cache some very weird behaviour indeed. So these need to be cleaned out once ina while.

Optimizing. Ever notice when you install an app, the last cycle it goes into upon the install is Optimizing System? My guess on this is that Mac OS X, upon usage, can get scattered and needs once in a while to be optimized. Would this task be done if it were ON 24 hours a day? Most probably.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
One would think that if there are maintenance tasks that need to be run regularly, Apple would make provisions in the code so that:

1. every 24 hours of run time, the daily maintenance tasks would run
2. every 168 hours of run time, the weekly maintenance tasks would run
3. every 720 hours of run time, the monthly maintenance tasks would run.

If any of these tasks are resource-intensive, then at the very least a dialog box should come up asking if the maintenance can begin.

The same is true for the caches ... I know in WinXP, programs that use a cache usually set an upper limit for the cache size, and work on a first in, first out system to erase older items in the cache automatically.

M

MacHeadCase

What would be interesting is if Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard would have something that would empty caches upon quitting the app and logging out of your user account.

OP
C
Reaction score
Parameters are kinda like the program's prefs. It registers as it launches or upon quitting it, the changes you have entered the last time you used it.

Maintenance is for the maintenance tasks: a Unix system like Mac OS X is meant to be ON 24 hours a day, 7 says a week. Not asleep, ON. Unix comes from the Mainframe world where computers never shut down.

In the background every night around 3:30 a.m. it will self maintain itself: this is known as a daily task. Once a week it will perform upon itself a weekly task. Once a month it will run on itself a monthly task.

Now for all sorts of reasons, it isn't always possible for us Mac users to leave the computer on all day, all week, all year. Some of those reasons could be: consuming wasted electricity, being afraid of power outages which mess up the computer, overheating like the G5s would do, etc.

I have an iMac G5 and I can assure you, after being used to an iMac G4, this thing gets a little hot. So these programs take over the maintenance tasks that were meant to be run but never could because the Mac was shut down or asleep when you run them manually.

Caches. Well these are meant to help the computer access certain files, webpages, etc. faster because they are partially stored in those cache folders. The problem with cache is, if it isn't cleaned out once in a while, the folders grow and grow (take a lot of disk space) and can corrupt which gives the computer or the application with the faulty cache some very weird behaviour indeed. So these need to be cleaned out once ina while.

Optimizing. Ever notice when you install an app, the last cycle it goes into upon the install is Optimizing System? My guess on this is that Mac OS X, upon usage, can get scattered and needs once in a while to be optimized. Would this task be done if it were ON 24 hours a day? Most probably.

Hope this helps.
Yeah that helps understanding some.

So what things do you run on a regular basis with Onyx? I'm wondering if I ran one thing on my PB and not on my G5 to get different results in certain situations with Safari.
wtf1.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Yo, CB!!!

For one thing, I run the maintenance tasks.

Every morning when I start the iMac up before I do anything else, I run the Daily maintenance task.

I picked Saturday for the Weekly task and run the Daily maintenance task as well.

And every fourth Saturday I run the Monthly, Weekly and Daily maintenance tasks.

When I feel something is slowing down or reacting differently from usual, I clean out the caches.

Another very nice program you should have in case of BIG emergencies is Alsoft's DiskWarrior. You might find it a bit pricey but this program has bailed me out of situations that even cleaning out caches and other stuff couldn't fix. It sure beats re-installing everything!

One example. Once while I was using the iMac G5, the power went down and the outage lasted a good 5 or 6 hours, When the electricity came back on, the iMac wouldn't get past the grey screen with the spinning thingamajig. I popped in my DiskWarrior CD and it repaired the directory and it's been doing fine ever since.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey MHC...thanks. I'm sorry I'm so slow on this stuff but can you point me in the right direction?

Under "maintenance" there are Permissions, Scripts, Reset and Optimize. Are you saying you do something with all of those (except maybe reset) and if so what exactly? Just run "execute"?

Sorry...dummy in Seattle!
spank.gif

PS - DiskWarrior -- $99 ....
1bugeye.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Too bad the server move for MainMenu isn't completed yet. Although the developer does promise it to be in the next few hours. It's so much easier to use than OnyX.

Ok for OnyX, you'll want to look at the Cleaning tab*. In there you will find five other tabs: Internet, Caches, Logs, Trash and Misc.

Look in there. There are tips at the bottom of that window as to what exactly some of those commands will do so read them carefully.

Personally I would click on Execute for the first four items in the Internet. All the caches choices. Logs would be 1, 3 and 4. Trash I wouldn't use as I don't have any trouble with emptying the trash. And in the Misc, I wouldn't choose Recent Items as I have set the Finder's Recent Items to OFF: I see no use for that, myself, with my kind of computer usage. Before executing the delete Items in Mail Downloads I would make sure I have made a copy on my Mac of things I want to keep, if any. I would execute item no. 3 though (Items in the Saved Searches folder as I don't save any. Hah!
icon10.gif

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Under normal usage, you wouldn't want caches cleaned out upon every logout- since they help with speed. However, when the caches get large and/or corrupted, they need to be cleaned up. As for optimizing, I believe that is precache bindings, which helps link apps to shared libraries to speed up app launching and running (mainly launching).

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmmm...I'm frustrated!

Here is the deal. I watch these funny videos on this website and I've been having a difficult time gettig them to play., I talked to the guys Webmaster and he told me "it's something in your settings"...

So I ran a lot of the routines in Onyx and on my PB now the videos load pretty quickly and play within a matter of 10 seconds or so.

However on my G5 I can't get them to play -- somethimes they do but it takes up to 3-5 minutes. I ran the same Onyx scripts on my G5 but no soap.

Now on my PB when I go to play the videos the little screen where they play turns white and then they play. On my G5 the little screens stays black and there is a huge delay or they won't play at all.

Here is the link to the site but WARNING: this guy uses really foul language so if you're offened don't watch the vids. The Kid From Brooklyn.

Anyway, any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
Wow! stumbled across this thread when trying to figure out how to clean out my HD, and MainMenu works awesome! it cleared out 80gb of space (holy crap) Thank you again for your wonderful help MHC!

M

MacHeadCase

It's about the same really. It has slightly less features than OnyX does but I find it very very handy, just sitting in the menubar when I launch it.

I use it for the maintenance and cleaning tasks and some other things, when needed, as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
BTW, MHC I used Onyx and I think I "optimized" and now my problem outlined above is fixed.

Onyx --->
bows.gif

M

MacHeadCase

That's great, CB! You can always download MainMenu and keep it in your dock ready to launch for the tasks.

But OnyX is great. I use both, btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
MacHeadCase, since you use both MainMenu and OnyX, can you quickly compare and contrast for us? Is one better than the other, and if so why, or perhaps do they both have things they each do better than the other, making it worthwhile for most folks to use both? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Optimizing is neat. According to OnyX, optimizing is a form of what is called prelinking. Linking is what happens when you launch a program. The program usually needs a bunch of support libraries and stuff loaded with it. Mac OS X assembles all of this stuff in real time when you launch the program, and that is what can cause many programs to take a long time and lots of disk accesses to load. This is generally called dynamic linking (if you hear echos of Windows DLL - dynamic link libraries - you are right!)

Prelinking does sort of what the name suggests. It does all of this ahead of time, producing an augmented file that has most of the dynamic linking already done. This can dramatically speed up the load time of some programs, where loading of dynamic libraries is a key factor in launch time. Unfortunately, Photoshop isn't one of them!!! boo hoo...

M

MacHeadCase

MacHeadCase, since you use both MainMenu and OnyX, can you quickly compare and contrast for us? Is one better than the other, and if so why, or perhaps do they both have things they each do better than the other, making it worthwhile for most folks to use both? Thanks!

OnyX has a few more bells and whistles like running Unix scripts but MainMenu has all the essentials I need: Maintenance tasks, Disk Permissions Repair, all the Rebuild Scripts, all the Cleaning Scripts, Verification of preference files, showing/hiding invisible files, Log Cleaning, removing temp files and .DS files, cleaning Dashboard cache, executing batch scripts (I have never used this though), and more.

I just like the convenience of MainMenu: once launched, it sits in your menubar. It does its job well. What can I say? I love it. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.