Onyx (need advice)

OP
C
Reaction score
I thought disk permission repairing was useless. I just read a long thread and associated article about it.
confused2.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah for the most part it is fixed in Tiger. Disk permissions are still an issue in Panther though. OnyX has a repair disk permissions script as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yep...I ran almost everything Onyx offers and frankly my machines work better. Whatever the reason I thank you MHC for recommending it to me initially. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
i posted this in another thread aswell as in this one..but its this error i got is bugging me

this error occurs when i start up onyx and it does a startup volume check and a S.M.A.R.T check :(
"Error:1
error detected (-9972) while verifying/repairing volume disk0s2 MacBook Pro"

help!! what do i do to fix this???!!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you so much ToddG...im at school right now so i cannot do this now, but i was worried i might have done something to my mbp..

would you happen to know what might cause this error? i only use my mbp for school use and general internet browsing. i have installed some 3rd party apps like adium x, ms office, onyx, mainmenu, photoshop cs2, and some video player stuff like flip4mac and divx

Reaction score
indapino22 -- You're welcome, no problem. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what would cause it, but obviously it's not uncommon and it's easily repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ToddG (or anyone else) i seem to have a problem, when i put in teh OS X installion Disc 1 and restart the laptop nothing happens..what am i doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sweet figured it out...

for future reference, you have to hold down C while the computer restarts, and in the top menu bar click the utilites menu and youll find disk utilites..pretty simple and painless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
I was under the impression Apple did allow for these tasks to take place late in the night, but as most people turn off their Macs at night they don't get done, hence the slow down. I could be wrong though...

M

MacHeadCase

Exactly. If your Mac is never shut down and never sleeps, then the tasks are run. So you have to prevent it from sleeping: the screen can shut down but not the processor activity.

For my case, this isn't applicable. I have an iMac G5 and find it runs pretty warm/hot and ecologically speaking, I don't want my computer to run if I am not really using it.

That's why I prefer to run the tasks manually with MainMenu or OnyX. It really doesn't take long and is very easy to do. No problem at all for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
thank you so much ToddG...im at school right now so i cannot do this now, but i was worried i might have done something to my mbp..

would you happen to know what might cause this error? i only use my mbp for school use and general internet browsing. i have installed some 3rd party apps like adium x, ms office, onyx, mainmenu, photoshop cs2, and some video player stuff like flip4mac and divx

This error will happen to anyone who tries to verify or repair their boot/primary hard drive. The reason this error occurs is b/c that boot drive is running the OS. You can't run the OS and repair the boot drive at the same time. One or the other.

So, if you're booted up into your OS and try to do this, bam, you get that error. That's why when you boot of the disc, you can repair the HDD (hard disk drive). You're able to do this b/c you didn't boot off the HDD but the CD.

Running disk utility off the OSX CD will fix your problem. Keep in mind though, if you're having to repair your hard drive often, that's a good sign your hard drive is needing to be replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.