Newbie Question about Mac OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm
Hello,

If I buy a mac (new) with Tiger on it will I be able to upgrade to Leopard or will I have to buy the new software and reformat?

Sorry, I'm new, well not yet!, to Mac world, so basically is OS 10.5 a free upgrade of OS 10.4 (like windows service pack) or is it a completly different software ?

Thanks!

Reaction score
10.5 is not a free upgrade. It's a full software package that can be patched onto 10.4, so you don't have to reformat anything.

It's like going from Windows 98 to XP, or XP to Vista.

License fees are much less than Windows, though, around 120$ if I guess. This will be the first Mac upgrade for me, as I bought a mac with 10.4 .

You can wait til Macworld on January 9th and see if the features in Leopard matter to you. If they do, you must decide whether to wait, as they will announce an approximate shipping date (if not already releasing it). But in any case, I'd wait til 9th.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Once 10.5 is released, how long do you guys think it will take until Apple discontinues support for 10.4 ?

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info!

Another question: If you patch 10.4 to upgrade it to 10.5, do you need to do it in the same langage version or can u use the upgrade to change the langage of your OS ?

Regards,
Stephan

M

MacHeadCase

Mac OS X is multi-lingual, there is no English version or German version. How and and in which language it shows up on your screen is the way you have set up your System Preferences in the International pref pane.

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really, then why do you get a choice of OS language when ordering from Apple?
-Is it because it comes allready installed ? (I was hoping to do it myself, to learn the process... and to have it on another HD that I allready own)

Hey, just noticed that your from Montréal, so maybe you could advise me! I always had english keyboards on PC and know instinctively where all the accents are, is it the same in Mac? (am using french as default language but can easely change it to english from the taskbar is so needed, is it just as easy with OSX?) I would like to have a french keyboard, to facilitate learning/typing for my daugther so is there any reason I shouldn't go with the french keyboard ?

PS: great pictures by the way!

M

MacHeadCase

Why thank you, Stephan936! I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350) and I love it! :girl:

Now about this language thing. They ask you if you want an English Mac just for the keyboard: you will have on the keys the English layout and symbols... Well, meaning no characters with accents and stuff like that.

Where to change languages and layout for the keyboard can be done in two places: from the menubar (see attached screenshot below) or directly in the System Preferences under the International pane (in the Personal section at the very top).

If you want to buy an Apple French keyboard and you're from around my neck of the woods, you can go to MicroBoutique on Avenue du Parc or go to the brand new (and so very cool) Apple Store in Carrefour Laval.

Edited to add:

You can add as many languages in the drop down menu you see in the screenshot below. All this is done in the System Preferences, in International, btw. You will see there are three tabs in there. Take a look around and choose what you want to use.

keyboard.png

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info, I'll drop by the store next week-end. (But I'll probable end up ordering online because I get a EPP discount, which so far, seems to beat any prices I've seen advertised. Unless they can honor it or match the price!)

M

MacHeadCase

EPP? Is that Edu? You can drop by the UQAM Coop or the Université de Montréal Coop. You get an Edu discount if you are a student or if you work in education, I think they honour those... but you surely knew all that!
icon10.gif

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think EPP stands for Employee Purchase Plan, but I'm not sure. I know various employers (like Bell & GE) have those partnership programs with Apple and some other co.

Not sure if a store will honour it though, I'll let you know after I tried :)

Regards

M

MacHeadCase

Ohh! I gotcha! Well you just might be right, it's only through the online Apple Store unless the Carrefour Laval one can honour it. I really wouldn't know.

Reaction score
Concerning language: They also of course preset it to that language so you find your way around once you startup the computer. Of course, be sure not to use anything like a Delocalizer program to free up disk space, that deletes all the language files (until you install a new OS or reinstall the current one).
I used a delocalizer but I kept my german, english and french files, as I am in Switzerland and never know where I'll be hanging about next... or my mood wants.... :)

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
You get an Edu discount if you are a student or if you work in education,

I am a teacher, I couldnt get discount from Mac. Even though I have a Government issued card to say who I am and what I am. Apple said that wasnt good enough.

M

MacHeadCase

I guess this depends on the institution or School Board? My partner works for McGill University in one of the libraries as a library assistant and they get Edu prices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's like going from Windows 98 to XP, or XP to Vista.

I wouldn't equate the upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 to these upgrades; at least, I haven't seen enough changes at this time to make that comparison; more like from 98 to Me (extremely disappointing) or XP to XP MCE. As a former Windows user, I saw many changes in those Windows releases than what is being advertised for Leopard.

I don't mean to sound negative, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea and spend money to something that may be unremarkable to their expectations. Of course, this is only my opinion and any user should look for themselves before buying. I can't wait to see what extra changes will be revealed.

Let the flaming begin.

OP
Stephan936
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Yogi,

I can't find anything different on the Leopard webpage since jan 9th, am I looking at the wrong place?

Thanks
Stephan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.