3GB ram noticeable difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac C2D 2.33Ghz, 3GB ram , 256 vram, 250GB hd
Heya

After mac world on Th or Th (not sure) I'm purchasing my first mac :).

24" iMac

I can afford 3GB of ram but of course i would still rather save money, is 3 GB noticeable faster than the 2GB?

thanks in advance :)

I can't wait.

josh

Reaction score
Depends on what youc currently have and how much you load it.
Try looking in the Task manager for how your ram is being used. If you use intensive applications, you might like the extra RAM. As rule of thumb they say get as much as you can afford, and considering the heavy features that Leopard will have, you might wanna go with 3GB. It will be smoother, definitely. especially with Dashboard and Spaces. I have 1.5 GB and Dashboard still takes a couple of seconds some times to show up.

OP
snowy_goofy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At the moment i have 512mb of ram, soooo slow. I don't use anything that would use allot of ram i think.

thanks for response, good point

OP
snowy_goofy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the annoying questions but

Do i need the 2.33 ghz processor to use the 3GB of ram properly.
I think that makes sense :S

thanks

Reaction score
Heya

After mac world on Th or Th (not sure) I'm purchasing my first mac :).

24" iMac

I can afford 3GB of ram but of course i would still rather save money, is 3 GB noticeable faster than the 2GB?

thanks in advance :)

I can't wait.

josh

It depends on what you are going to be doing. The difference between 512 meg and 2 gig is very noticeable especially when running multiple apps at the same time. The difference between 3 gig and 2 gig would not really be all that noticeable, though there would be some, just not as much as between the 512 and 2 gig.

I would say unless you are going to be into some really heavy graphics and intensive programs that you could save a bit of money and put it elsewhere such as bigger hard drive or better graphics card. As for the 2.33 processor, like ram, more is usually better, but you can get a lot done with less too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a PowerMac G5 with 2.5G of RAM. I use MenuMeters to monitor, among other things, memory usage. I can tell you that with Photoshop CS2, Safari, Thunderbird, Finder and a few other sundry apps open, plus a full slate of Dashboard widgets running, my machine has never used up the full 2.5G of RAM I have. I have never seen it exceed 2G to be perfectly honest.

SO, my *guess* is that you would do just fine with 2G. 3G is probably unnecessary, and Apple does charge a pretty penny for the extra 1G.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.