Floppy drives

J

JRJ26

well, I definitely am getting a PowerMac G4 and an iBook G4 for college. One problem I do have is the floppy drive, or lack thereof. What have your experiences been without having a floppy drive? Do you always burn CDs to transfer files? What if I need to share files with a Windows user on a floppy? Should I definitely buy an external drive? Which do you recommend? This is the only problem with Apple that I have. They should at least have a floppy drive option for customization on the Apple Store site. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not a problem for me. I burn CD's every once and a while but most of the time i just toss the files onto my USB thumbdrive that i have on my keychain. Much easier than floppies

OP
W

WilliS

hehe
well here is my experience....i havent had to share anything with a pc in a long time...and if i do, at college, your on broadband for the most part... just shoot someone an attachment through email...and if its beyond 1.44mb, its too big for email, and its too big for a floppy....at college, i have a zip drive...which is surprisingly the same price as a floppy drive... usb floppy drives are expencive (or were) so getting a zip drive that can hold 100 or 250 mb is better for the most part....

things i use to transfer files:
-email
-zip disk
-usb jump drive (those little key chain drives)
-external HD
-burned cd
-burned dvd
-ipod in firewire mode
-over the network (wireless airport direct conneted between my ibook and g5)

my recomendations would be, if you are really worried about it, pick up a usb zip drive... if you arent too worried about it, go to college and spend a month there or so before you decide to get something....

but i havent used a floppy drive in about 3 or 4 years...on my pc, i have it disabled on start up anyway...even pc doesnt use floppy much anymore

OP
Z

Zapple

You can buy .Mac for bout $100 a year, it comes with iDisk and you can transer files up to 100MB from Windows to Mac, Mac to Mac, you can upgrade to get more space you your iDisk, I have used iDisk and it is really easy to use, highly recomend it.

OP
S

StarManta

I highly recommend a USB thumbdrive. They're actually more compatible than floppies (of 5 computers belonging to my family, all have USB, only 2 have floppy drives, and most of the rest of the world is about the same), and they're a **** of a lot cheaper than a Zip drive/disk, and smaller, and probably faster.

OP
T

TylerMoney

floppy disks are no good, and you don't need them......just get a cd's...it's like .50/ea dirt cheap.

OP
P

PRinMD

I got a 256MB thumb drive, carry it in my pocket wherever I go, you can purchase thumb drives up to 512MB not sure if there is anything bigger. Thumb drive would be the way to go dude

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.