Can't get EPSON Photo 820 to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820, on my PPC Mac to get boarderless you had to go into the printer setup utility, click add, choose Stylus 820 from the list and hit more printers, from there you had to open EPSON USB from the pull down menu, but on my Intel Mac (Latest driver from Epson) EPSON USB doesn't show up, but FireWire AppleTalk and TCP/IP do. I really need to be able to print borderless, I have emailed Epson about this but their support sucks and I really don't expect any kind of reply. I have tired uninstalling, resetting the printing system, restarting everything I could think of but I cannot get USB to show up. Does anyone have any idea how to get this working.

picture1wu2.jpg

--Thanks so much if you can get this working!

M

MacHeadCase

Ben I found this on Apple's website and according to them the driver is included: Mac OS X 10.4.4: Included printer drivers and PostScript PPD files for Intel-based Macs (Epson drivers).

Macintosh computers pre-installed with Mac OS X 10.4.4 at the factory include printer drivers and PostScript Printer Description files (PPDs) for many printer models. This article contains a list of all printer drivers and PPD files included with Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel-based Macs. Some printer files included with Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel-based Macs might not be included with previous Mac OS X versions, and vice-versa.

Please note that some of these drivers have been created by open-source projects (refer to the "Install Package" column in the list to find the driver source) and may not be supported by Apple or the respective printer manufacturer.

Tip: To ensure that you have the latest drivers for your printer, refer to the printer manufacturer's website.

To view the complete list of printer drivers, scroll down the window or use your browser's Find feature to look for a specific name, such as "Olympus" or "Toshiba"...

That's all I could come up with so far... I'll keep my eyes peeled for this.

M

MacHeadCase

Another thought... I went to have a look at Gutenprint for Mac OS X (formerly Gimp-Print) and I just can't see any mention if Intel-based Macs are supported and if the drivers support borderless printing.

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe I have something? Did you check the latest drivers available from Epson for the Stylus Photo 820? They seem to have aversion for the Intel-based Macs. Dunno if that link is gonna work, looks like it has a cookie/session ID in it. If it doesn't work, go to Epson's website, click on Drivers & Support and choose Printers and go from there.

Hope this works, man.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Another thought... I went to have a look at Gutenprint for Mac OS X (formerly Gimp-Print) and I just can't see any mention if Intel-based Macs are supported and if the drivers support borderless printing.

Maybe I have something? Did you check the latest drivers available from Epson for the Stylus Photo 820? They seem to have aversion for the Intel-based Macs. Dunno if that link is gonna work, looks like it has a cookie/session ID in it. If it doesn't work, go to Epson's website, click on Drivers & Support and choose Printers and go from there.

Hope this works, man.

I checked both of the, tried Gutenprint but it didn't do what I needed it to :(

M

MacHeadCase

Crap! Well if I see something, I'll let you know. Too bad this didn't work.

Although I don't know if you noticed in the Gutenprint FAQ, they showed how to connect via AppleTalk and stuff?

Reaction score
(1) My MBP (C2D) shows Epson USB as an option in that dialog box.

(2) My Epson Stylus R260 didn't require any special setting when using the drivers included by Epson. In particular, it did not require me to use the Epson USB option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Try going to the page setup menu and then select your printer, then select a borderless page size from the paper size drop down menu.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Try going to the page setup menu and then select your printer, then select a borderless page size from the paper size drop down menu.
I've tried that, but even if I do that the printer still puts a small border without me going through the steps that It's not letting me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.