Paralells & Bootcamp

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this covered elsewher, but I can't seem to find it...

I have installed bootcamp and XP SR2 on my MAC and have sims2 running in the XP section. It seems to go well.

I've only just moved over to MAC and have some windows programs that I'd like to use, but via OS X v10.4

Question: Can I install Paralells even though I've got bootcamp installed?

Or is there a different way to access windows programs through OS X v10.4

Thank you

ImaMacConvert2U

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I am sure that you can install parallels, Parallels will run all of your windows software well with the exception of anything that requires 3d.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 1GBRAM / 120GB HD
So one cannot run games, right ? I mean like NFS MW or GTA SA .

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am sure that you can install parallels, Parallels will run all of your windows software well with the exception of anything that requires 3d.

DVD player also will not work under parallels - also cannot play a DVD in OS X while parallels is running

Doubt very seriously that Need for Speed would run well enough to be playable if at all under parallels

Reaction score
Question: Can I install Paralells even though I've got bootcamp installed?

Yes. The next version of Parallels to be released will even let you use the already-installed files in your Boot Camp partition, so you don't have to install WinXP twice. The current (retail) version of Parallels, however, requires you to install WinXP all over again. It's a completely separate "machine" so to speak.

Or is there a different way to access windows programs through OS X v10.4

There are competing products to Parallels, but Parallels seems to be the dominant market leader for now.

Parallels does not have support for high-end graphics (including Direct3D) so you cannot play most graphics-intensive Windows games using Parallels. For gaming, BootCamp is your best bet IMHO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.