New Mac User - MacBook...couple of questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
Ok I just got a brand new MacBook and iPod. Only added Office to it. I love this Mac! I have a few noob questions....

1. Is Airport the same is WiFi? For example if I am in a hotel that has WiFi will my MacBook connect? Where is Airport connections used/found?

2. iChat - How does that work? I saw a cool video about how iChat can be used as a video conference tool. Or do you use it in conjunction with with somethinng like AOL messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc?

3. Upgrading the OS. When the new Leopard comes out is it easy to upgrade?

4. Books - Is there a really good book or two on how to get familiar with OSX and MacBooks? I have seen a few but figure you guys and gals would have better suggestions.

Thanks, I am still learning how everything works. I appreciate the help.

Ash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. Airport is WiFi. You Airport Extreme card is an 802.11g card so you can connect to a/b/g networks (Every wifi spot)

2. You can connect to iChat using an AOL screen name or @mac.com username if you have .mac service. You can not use it with Yahoo messenger.

3. Very easy

4. http://www.missingmanual.com/ Those are the best books when it comes to Apple topics

OP
Spartan117
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the help!

Reaction score
it's fairly easy to start using iChat, just sign in with your aol or .mac account and click the video button besides your buddy~

well, to upgrade to leopard, you have to buy a fresh copy of Mac OS

no need to read any book, you just start using it and whenever you come across a problem, feel free to ask here, but search first~

Reaction score
I second the Missing Manual series. That was the first book I purchased. Its an easy read and will definitely get you moving in the right direction.

OP
Spartan117
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I picked up the Missing Manual (Tiger Ed) and I just have to say thanks for the advice. So far that book has been VERY helpful!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.