• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tips for purchasing Macs from online auctions/private sales

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
This post is a little long-winded, but still very informative and helpful. :black:
It is the holiday season and I am sure that some people with some new found wealth would be interested in purchasing a new or "new to them" Mac. However, this thread and others like it are common on this forum. People sometimes have problems and issues with computers they purchased and the only way to fix it sometimes requires the install discs. When purchasing a computer online from an auction site, always be sure to ask if the install media is included. If it isn't, then I would suggest not making the purchase.
Be sure to read the listing thoroughly and don't be afraid to ask if you don't see it listed. Some sellers will look to take advantage of you and will knowingly not include these necessary discs so they can use them again and again on multiple machines they intend on selling. Also be sure to ask for the original discs, not copies or CD-R's. Anything other than the original would be pirated software and is more likely to cause problems/issues that would require a reinstall or repair to the application.
Here is an example of what NOT to fall for:

There was a listing on a popular auction site for a Mac notebook. The seller included a line in his listing that stated:
Seller said:
- Tons of software and other titles. You must license as necessary. Includes: Word processing and graphics programs

CHECK MY FEEDBACK!!!!!

Feel free to call me at (xxx) xxx-xxxx.

I respond to E-mail as well.
There are three huge red flags here. One, no specific titles are listed. It merely says "Tons of software". The fact that the seller refrained from listing the titles is a good sign that the software isn't legit and the discs won't be included.

Two, "you must license as necessary". This again implies that the software isn't legal and won't have any media included in the sale.

Three, he mentions only that the software is "word processing" and "graphics" related. A good sign that he is installing MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite with no license or media.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, I sent an email since he stated that he would respond in his ad. This would give me written confirmation of what he would include, something that any upstanding seller would do.
My email said:
What software is included and does this software include the
original installation CD/media?
His reply was less than helpful:
Seller said:
Please call me at (xxx)xxx-xxxx re: software. Happy New Year.
I could have left it there, but I wanted to know why he was being so tight-lipped about the software. I replied:
My reply said:
I would rather not use the long-distance on my phone.
I would aslo much rather have something in writing, as opposed to
a telephone conversation. If you can't reply in an email, then thank
you for your time and consideration, anyway.
Have a good New Year.
His reply to this only confirmed that what he was selling wasn't legit:
Seller said:
If you feel that you need some sort of written confirmation for what software I will include then we needn't bother. However, I have unlimited long distance at no extra charge and would be glad to call you. Just forward me a number and we can discuss all aspect of the units I sell.
His refusal to give a written ledger of what he intends to sell shows that he knows what he is selling is illegal. He is trying to cover his "assests" by not leaving any indelible mark or trace as to what pirated software he is including in the sale. He also thinks he is absolved of wrong-doing by adding the bit about the buyer needing to obtain the licensing on their own. That way, if something were to go wrong, then there is no way to prove that he ever provided or promised to provide such software to the buyer. A phone conversation could be recorded, but would only be admissible in a legal sense if both parties agreed to such. I have a feeling that if I were to have allowed him to call me, that he would have refused such a request to record the conversation.
This is only one example of the nameless rabble of sellers out there doing things the wrong way. Hopefully, this example will help others interested in getting that 'hot deal' from an auction site to not fall into a tough situation when something goes wrong with their new computer. If anyone else has any stories or words of wisdom to add, please feel free.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent post, DB! This should be a sticky, IMO! You never really know with who you do make business online on eBay and the rest. Great pointers! *Thumbsup*

OP
D3v1L80Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I know there are a lot of "lurkers" on this forum, many of whom don't own a Mac... yet. :)
They would like to get one, but don't know what questions to ask. My intent of this thread was for those of us who are Mac owners to help point out what questions should be asked when buying.
Asking about included software is a big one. Think about it, when you buy a new computer from a store you get a full set of install/restore discs with it. Why should it be any different when you buy a used one? You may go your entire life without ever using them, but they should be there nevertheless.
Price is another issue. Many of these sellers include the software and try to use it to inflate the price of the machine. Personally, I would have no problem paying more, so long as I got exactly what I was paying for. If you buy a computer with no discs, then you simply aren't getting that.
:black:

M

MacHeadCase

I entirely agree (can't rep you, says I repped you enough for now LOL). And to me it makes no sense whatsoever of buying a Mac without its install CDs/DVDs: they are a way to help you troubleshoot the computer!

Reaction score
Great post! I am currently looking for an notebook to use for travel/ web design. This helps me to be more mindful when buying. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.