Installation

Reaction score
I am a music producer and I had installed a couple of programs on there for music production. But for some reason I installed them incorrectly. But I didn't know how to uninstall them so I googled it and it said to transfer the files to the trash so I did

and after that I shutdown the computer and restarted it. But when I tried to re-install the program it wouldn't let me

and now I have a couple of questions

Is there a system restore for macs?

Is their a way to boot it over, so I can start from scratch with the original programs on it?

M

MacHeadCase

First, let me welcome you to Mac-Forums, Gerald. I hope you enjoy it here and hang around.

Second, when you try to uninstall things you can, yes, do it by hand but some programs scatter some files all over the hard drive so it's handier to use an uninstaller like AppZapper if the program doesn't come with its own uninstaller, that is. You can always do a SpotLight search for rogue files on your hard drive though.

Third, I think the apps you are trying to reinstall are finding the rogue files and think that you already have the apps installed.

Fourth, unless you made a backup of your system, no you cannot restore the system you had. Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) will change all that in the near future but for now you are always better to do backups. I use SuperDuper! to backup my system to an external FireWire hard drive.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice I found the other files in spotlight, now how do I take those off

M

MacHeadCase

Same as you did with the apps themselves. Just drag them to the trash and empty the trash.

OP
G
Reaction score
when I tried to install the program again it said "you cannot continue. There is nothing to install"

M

MacHeadCase

Crap there are other files left somewhere, then... Can you do a Spotlight with maybe the company names of the programs you had installed? Example: Adobe Photoshop. Other than that, someone else will have to jump in here, I'm at a loss. Sorry.

OP
G
Reaction score
is there a way I can re-boot the mac to have it's original settings back on, so I can re-register it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The problem doesn't seem to be OS X, but the application you are trying to install. They are either finding them self already installed, or as mentioned finding a file that indicates that.

First, have you emptied the trash? You'll find that under the Finder's 'Finder' menu heading.

You might be better off going to the vendors site and looking at their FAQ or forums for answers. At minimum, you need to tell us what the application names are. That kind of detail can help.

Places to look for extra files have been mentioned here before. Search for 'uninstalling applications'.

OP
G
Reaction score
yes I emptied the trash

The program is Hypersonic 2, by Steingberg and it's a vst program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
yes I emptied the trash
I figured as much, but had to ask.

The program is Hypersonic 2, by Steingberg and it's a vst program

Before reading the rest of this message, check number 8 at this link. Also review the issues on that first page because maybe you might recognize your original problem. Otherwise...

The install instructions (ftp download) may give you a clue. The first one being, remove the key.

Various search strings in Spotlight may help find that posible extra file. So try Hypersonic, then Steinberg, then Syncrosoft, then VST.

By the way I had trouble finding their English page, so here it is. From there, you should be able to contact them for help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.