when i try 2 close a safari window i cant
i have 2 quit safari if i want 2 close any window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
Question

What OS/hardware are you running?
Have you repaired permissions?
Have you run /sbin/fsck -fy in Single User mode?
Are you licensed to use DiskWarrior?
Do you run your system from a standard account?

Reaction score
use firefox instead... its much better than safari, and if you do a few tweaks, way way faster too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
Re Firefox, etc.

I've used Firefox in the past, both for Windows and Mac OS X, and found that it represents a step UP in Windows. . . but a step DOWN in Macintosh.

Sure, Safari has fewer bells and whistles, but it doesn't break as often as Firefox, either. By analogy, compare the pricey luxury automobile, all the amenities included. . . with a heavy-frame pickup truck. The pickup is a workhorse that takes abuse and keeps on ticking.

But the luxury car is mainly a "show-horse," designed from jump street for one purpose: getting the purchasers' money. And, in time, as all those fancy bells and whistles begin to wear out, the driver, short of spending BIG BUCKS on repairs, will be left with an empty shell that rolls down the road but serves no other purpose.

(You "Beemers" in the crowd take it easy, now, or we may have to bring GM's veep out here to get you settled down, haha.)

In my personal experience, 12991 and jeje13, the combination of Firefox and OS X have always proven a disaster. To me it's come down to a point where it doesn't matter whether Safari is a bit slower loading web pages or has fewer add-ons. The bottom line to me is that Firefox in OS X has proven little more than an exploit waiting to happen, regardless of version.

Besides, today's high speed DSL/cable services relegate the browser's functioning as far as speed to that of secondary importance.

You may get by for a while using Firefox in Macintosh, but eventually, soon as the script kiddies and their criminal black hat counterparts who make tons of $$ from hacks/exploits, develop some new way to pull off a memory dump in Firefox, it will be a repeat of the same scenario, all over again.

The browser is the "first firewall." Only a competently set-up router or NAT-hardware appliance can "get out in front" of a browser. Software/application-based firewalls, such as NetBarrier, are BEHIND the browser and can only filter packets AFTER the fact. Using only software for protection your poor 'lil browser's out there with its bacon on the line.

The integrity of a browser's file structure is EVERYTHING where security is concerned. Check Firefox' track record at Secunia. What you will find there is a long list of past exploits, and patches to fix them. Yes, Safari has been subject to exploitation in the past. But on average, its exploitable potential has proven minor, compared to Firefox.

According to Internet "grape vine" news, Apple is preparing the 10.4.9 update for OS X. When it comes it should seal a few holes affecting Safari and make browsing a bit safer for those running Firefox.

I plan to do a complete reinstall of OS X at that point, because I've noticed a few little glitches in my own [Safari-equipped] system that don't seem quite right. A fresh install makes nice.

Nothing lasts forever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.