Network PC and Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I have a Mac running Tiger and windows XP computer with a DLink router and cable modem. They are wired to the router. How do I setup the network so that I can share file both ways? I searched discussions but did not find a setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
On the Mac enable file sharing and windows sharing from the preference >> sharing tab.

On your xp machine ensure that the drive or folder is setup to share.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am assuming you know how to set up Network in Windows, if not post back.

Am 1 week Mac newb here myself - do not have anything on my Mac to share so have not set up that direction yet - here is what I found to access my windows shares from the Mac -

Go to Applications - Utilities - open Directory Access
You will have to click on the lock, bottom left and enter your password to make changes
Then click on SMB/CIFS to highlight it
Then click on Configure
In the new drop down box enter the name of your Windows workgroup - If you did not change it from the default it would be something like MSHOME
Click on OK, close the lock again and quit Directory Access

Do not think I rebooted, like you would have to in Windows after making any kind of network change like this.

Now go to Finder - Click on Network in the left panel and you will see a new folder with name of your windows workgroup, click on it - this will bring up the name of computers in that workgroup -

click on one of the computers listed, this will bring up the SMB/CIFS file system Authentication
It will list the workgroup, your Mac OS X user name and ask for a password
Enter your windows password here that you put in when you set up the share. If you shared it without password protecting it, leave the Password field blank and click OK. this should now show you all folders shared on that computer.

Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.