iPod unusable below 40f

Reaction score
Is it normal for my iPod to not work when it's really cold? Seems that the battery freezes and stops flowing power, and the thing gives me a dead battery warning just before crashing. If I rub it on my leg for a minute or two to warm it back up, it'll continue to work until it gets cold again. Doesn't seem to matter if the battery is full or half empty. Is this normal? Do aftermarket batteries solve this problem?
Oh yeah, it's the original 5th gen 30gig Video.. Almost a year old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
From the iPod Tech Specs Page:

Environmental requirements
Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Is it normal for my iPod to not work when it's really cold? Seems that the battery freezes and stops flowing power, and the thing gives me a dead battery warning just before crashing. If I rub it on my leg for a minute or two to warm it back up, it'll continue to work until it gets cold again. Doesn't seem to matter if the battery is full or half empty. Is this normal? Do aftermarket batteries solve this problem?
Oh yeah, it's the original 5th gen 30gig Video.. Almost a year old.

how could is really cold? if its below 32F you can figure to have issues.. an aftermarket battery wont help any.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why not just wear a shirt with a pocket on your chest and then keep it in there under a jacket. your body heat should keep it somewhere between your skin temp and 30some degrees.

OP
U
Reaction score
It's usually above 32f, but under 40f when I'm having issues with it.. And I can't just put it in my pocket because of the conditions when this issue occurs: it's sitting on my computer desk in my garage (unheated uninsulated garage) and I have it hooked to a boombox so I can enjoy my music while working on my project car. So every 30 mins or so I have to go warm the thing back up. Guess I should just pick up a wall power supply for the thing. I also occasionally have the problem when I leave it in my car while I'm at work.. Get off work and the thing is frozen up. But 5 minutes sitting on the heater vent fixes that right up. But that's 5 minutes of driving in silence.. Again, a cigarette lighter power adapter has been on my wishlist since I got the thing.. :) Just wanted to see if I was having an unusual problem. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
space heater?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Not an unusual problem at all. Mine was doing the same thing while I was on deployment. Off the coast of Korea the inside temp was about 35F in our berthing, and you can bet that iPod didn't work without some coaxing. If you get down that low (or lower) in temp, you'll have problems with the screen being really slow, or actually freezing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.