Macintosh HD icon gone from desktop!!

Reaction score
When I woke my Macbook Pro up from sleep about 10 minutes ago, all of a sudden i noticed that the Macintosh HD icon(the hard drive) and also the Untitled HD(the Windows Partition) is gone from my desktop. What happened???!? That's one shortcut/icon i can't live without!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I'm not sure why that happened, but try opening a finder window and copy it from there to your desktop.

Reaction score
in the meantime:

Shift + Command + A opens your Applications folder
Shift + Command + U opens your Utilities folder
Shift + Command + H opens your Home folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
FINDER > PREFERENCES > GENERAL > Make sure the Hard Drive box is checked.

Reaction score
Have you tried restarting and the oldie but a goodie; Repair Permissions?

M

MacHeadCase

What's the version of your OS? And by that, I don't mean Tiger or 10.4, I mean for example, 10.4.3...

M

MacHeadCase

I'm thinking something, somehow set your Macintosh HD icon as invisible...

First, try reapplying the latest Combo update. You'll find that at Apple's website/Support/Downloads.

If that doesn't work, try Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.

If that doesn't work, take a look at this thread at Apple Discussions.

You could download and install something like OnyX to change the visibility of the hard drive icon but the problem with that solution is that you would see plenty of other files everywhere, all the time, so not such a hot idea. You need to specifically address this problem only with your HD icon, not all the files.

OP
V
Reaction score
ok, thanks a lot! I'll check all those links out. Also I want to point out that I don't have access to the / drive. I mean I can see everything in my account and my apps, but i have my games and other important documents stored in the root directory.

EDIT: MacHeadCase: What do you mean by latest "Combo" update?

M

MacHeadCase

Never ever store ANYTHING in the root directory. That place belongs to the system. Could very well be that is what is confusing the system. Always store your stuff in your home directory. Always.

Reaction score
Find and delete the com.apple.finder.plist preference, which is probably corrupt.

This file can be found at:

Your User Account>Library>Preferences>com.apple.finder.plist

When done, restart your mac and see if this fixes it.

M

MacHeadCase

What was the latest OS update you installed? Re-apply that.

You could try the Finder plist file deletion as Pulse-8 suggests. Could be that messing-around-in-root caused a corruption of the Finder prefs.

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok, so I deleted the file com.apple.finder.plist and i restarted my computer and at the same time I reset the PRAM. And it did nothing...Am I the only one having this problem? Because this is weird

OP
V
Reaction score
Ok, so i read the thread that MacHeadCase gave me and I think that will work. I entered the show all visible command and it shows my Macintosh HD and the Windows Untitled HD. I have to install the Developer Tools so I'll write back as soon as I can. Thanks!

Reaction score
Wild --- guess:

Open Finder from the Dock.

Right-click on the icon representing your HDD in the top left window panel. Choose "open enclosing folder" from the context menu.

A new Finder window will open, and your HDD should be there. Try dragging it to your desktop.

OP
V
Reaction score
YESSS!!! I GOT IT!!

Ok, here are the edited(and much easier) instructions which I put together from THIS thread:

1. With Terminal you type this command and hit enter:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true;killall Finder

2. Go to Developer Tools(Search Developer in Spotlight if you can't find it) and look in the Tools folder for these two files:

SetFile

3. Drag and drop SetFile to the terminal window and type this after it then press enter:
-a v /

It should look like this: /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v /

Then type:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean false;killall Finder

If your HD doesn't show up, restart finder(option-click the Finder in the dock) and your HD should be there.

Good Luck and thanks to everybody who replied back. I really appreciate the help that this community has given me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.