switcher needs mac os help :( freeze etc etc

M

mtq1000

my G5 is great except that it freezes every so often. Ive had it about 3/4 weeks now im new to macs so i have a lot to learn. It just freezes i cant say anymore than that. If ive got itunes on it makes a funny (zzt) noise when it freezes. I thought if mac os was going to crash it didnt and closed down the program etc etc or maybe i didnt read the fine print lol. The most anoying thing is that my pal who has an iMac and a powerbook has said in 1.5 years of use he has only had to manually reboot his macs about 3 times in total. Ive had it 3 weeks and have rebooted about 33 times and rreformated 3/4 times (strange how tihng go in threes huh) anwyay. i was just wondering if there was any known issue with g5s that make them freeze the screeen etc with no noticable reason. Its calmed down lately but it still does it about once every 4 days or so when i realy dont want it too lol.
Ta

OP
W

WilliS

hmmm.....they had a firmware update with the G5...i would get that if i were you (if you didnt already)

also the control +alt + delete for mac is command + option + escape... if just a specific thing is freezing, this can keep your system from being locked up...

other than that... have you noticed specific times when it freezes? or while running certain things?

have you dont a complete reformat? like from bootup holding C with the start up disk in, and wiping the HD clean, repartitioning, then doing a fresh install?

what version of osx are you running?

OP
M

mtq1000

sorry i take so long

im in the uk so its hard for me to reply soon to things. anyway, im runnin 10.3.2 got the firmware update, ive rebooted and formated from the cd once. i had to admit defeat and phone applecare that time :( the shame LOL. anyway i think that itunes has sumthing to do with it but atleast 30% of the time is when im just running normal crap like safari msn u know normal timewasting programs. Cant think of any common factor that is crashing it each time which is the problem. I did say it was getting better but after i posted first time i had to manual restart 2 times lol. I just had to do 3 a min ago maybe my lucky time is over :(. Im sure its just settling in. when i first got XP it was the same then it calmed down after about 2 months and the same when i got ME but i was hoping the mac would be different. If anyone has had the same problem or simliar can u tell me about it.
Ta

OP
S

Sarah

Mine does the same thing... I have to actually do a cold reboot (pushing the stupid power button), to do anything. I still haven't figured out what's wrong... It mostly does it when I'm on IE or Safari... I just got an Ipod... so I'll start using Itunes a lot. I'll let you know if it makes that funny sound as well. It's really irritating to get a brand new computer (mine is 6 months old) and it dosen't work properly. Keep in touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
Im having the same problem. I have to hold down the power button of my powerbook and shut it down coz nothin except the mouse moves. it was happening a lot a couple of months ago and then it stopped happening. but now its back. i have had to manually reboot 3 times in the last 2 hours. the OS just froze and nothing worked. not even option + command + esc. does anyone have a solution to this? im trying running a disk permissions verification and disk permissions repair. someone said that might do it. will let you know if it works. :(

OP
M

mtq1000

applecare and their wisdom

well after my exams there ive started to get really pissed off with the thing. Ive got applecare now and ive done everything under the sun. I phoned applecare today and they told me to reset the P ram and the PMU,which ive done. Yet nothing has changed it has crashed 4 times today with a variety of things. Ive to phone tomorow and tell them how i got on. Hoepfully sumthing will be sorted out. Im semi-glad to see im not the only one having this problem. The powerbook problem is fairly similar but on the G5 you cant even move the mouse its very anoying. However fast the mac is at restarting it still takes a while to do. hope this can be solved very soon.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Mine did the same until I turned off the HD sleep.

Not sure why that fixed it but I have a sneaky feeling that when it attempts to wake up the HD there might be a timing issue which then hangs everything.

I have mine now on 24/7 with the admin tasks set to go at 3am, I don't ever put it to sleep (except for the screen) and it seems to be fine.

It is a hardware problem imo.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram
I have some good news (atleast for me, if not for all). I haven't had the os freeze on me since I have verified and repaired disk permissions. i think you all need to do the same. atleast give it a try. best of luck..;-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Have you run Mac Janitor or crons? If there is still problems, boot into single user terminal restart, hold Apple S and once there type fsck -fy until ***FILE SYSTEM CHANGED*** stops showing

OP
M

mtq1000

getting repaired

applecare are taking my machine and fixing it :D hope they get it working i wont be best pleased if it comes back still messed up. Atleast its a bit of a result :D

OP
M

mtq1000

they have had it for 3 weeks now

as i said THREE WEEKS!!! im getting pissed off. The motherboard they put in came a week late it then failed a thermal calibration which leeds them to order a new processor!!!! it better be fixed by tomorow cause that will be three weeks on the dot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.