Expand widows

Reaction score
A silly question how do i when i double click on the winow bar to expand the window to full screen like you would do in windows for any window, and how do you make it go past the doc and not stop at the top of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Hello your going to need to forget your Windows life :) To enlarge the window you need to drag it to enlarge it with your mouse. Select the bottom right had corner of the window and just drag it until its a suitable size.

Reaction score
Double-clicking the bar at the top of a Mac OS X window will not maximize the window as in WinXP. Instead, it minimizes the window to the Dock (think of it like sending the window to the WinXP taskbar).

Pressing the GREEN/+ button in the top left corner will expand the window to fit the entire document if possible.

If you want your window to be larger, you will have to drag the bottom right corner until the window stretches to your liking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
The green + only adjusts the window size to fit the content of the window. It is a tad different than maximize in the windows world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
The green + only adjusts the window size to fit the content of the window. It is a tad different than maximize in the windows world.

A tad nicer than maximize, IMO, as it is wonderful to be able to use several apps at once and have them all sized based on their content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.4 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM / 93 GB Hard Drive
One of the reasons I like the "maximize" feature is that is give that app as much screen area as it can use. Usually what ever I am working on will be on the primary screen while all the other "fluff" like widgets, IM clients, notepad, clock, etc is on the secondary screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I agree with the above posts, you have to forget Windows. I asked the same question when I first got my Mac.
You might like to hide the dock and have it only come up when you run your mouse over the corner. Go to system prefs, dock, choose to hide/show dock. I'm sure there's a short cut to this, but I'm not familiar with it. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
The reason why this is the case in the first place is because Apple feels maximizing a window is not productive, and it's true. Unnecessarily hiding access to other windows and things on-screen while the document can be viewed fine with the Zoom function is just dumb.

Nowadays I find it very hard to work on windows when a single web page just spans over my screen. Macs tend to work well with small screen sizes this way, as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.4 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM / 93 GB Hard Drive
The reason why this is the case in the first place is because Apple feels maximizing a window is not productive, and it's true. Unnecessarily hiding access to other windows and things on-screen while the document can be viewed fine with the Zoom function is just dumb.

Nowadays I find it very hard to work on windows when a single web page just spans over my screen. Macs tend to work well with small screen sizes this way, as well.

I am not trying to start a Mac/Windows flame war but shouldn't I the end user decide what I find the most productive? It isn't a big deal just a small annoyance. I personally liked the nVidia extension that put 4 buttons in the corner of a window (close, minimize, fit, and maximize). Then I could choose how I wanted the desktop to be organized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Well I might decide that the OS X way is more productive, yet be annoyed that Vista makes me use maximised Windows that fill the screen. It's just two different philosophies.

Which is easier - an A1 flipchart where you flip each page, or a table where all your pages are laid out in front of you?

Reaction score
Well I might decide that the OS X way is more productive, yet be annoyed that Vista makes me use maximised Windows that fill the screen. It's just two different philosophies.

Which is easier - an A1 flipchart where you flip each page, or a table where all your pages are laid out in front of you?

That depends on how easily I get distracted. I manually "maximize" my windows when I'm working on one thing, don't want to be distracted, but want to keep other information up and active in case I need to reference it. (for example, a Web page running in the background while I'm writing).

How do you add the fourth circle for maximizing, arch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That depends on how easily I get distracted. I manually "maximize" my windows when I'm working on one thing, don't want to be distracted, but want to keep other information up and active in case I need to reference it. (for example, a Web page running in the background while I'm writing).

How do you add the fourth circle for maximizing, arch?

It was actually a fourth button in Windows and it was done by a specific display driver (nVidia) of all things. I am not saying some people are more productive one way or the other, just that I am more productive when I don't get distracted... oh shiney object brb ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Apple's design philosophy is slightly different in this sense:

Rather than adding two buttons and letting the user decide, Apple isn't afraid of determining what they consider "best" and leaving it at that.

It's compromises that tend to lead to clutter and redundancy (see the Windows control panel's "classic" and "category" views - they didn't have the guts to just remove the old view, so now you have 2 ways of looking at it and things end up being even more difficult to find).

Having said all that, check out Megazoomr for a hack/workaround that might help you :)

Reaction score
Apple just adheres to generally accepted laws of usability. Some of those include:

- Use as little screen estate as possible to display information
- The steps involved in placing a mouse over a button should converge towards 0 (see how apple uses the screen corners effectively). ==> Fitt's Law , Hick's Law, Accot-Zhai Steering Law

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple just adheres to generally accepted laws of usability. Some of those include:

- Use as little screen estate as possible to display information
- The steps involved in placing a mouse over a button should converge towards 0 (see how apple uses the screen corners effectively). ==> Fitt's Law , Hick's Law, Accot-Zhai Steering Law

Once again I will fall back to "personal preference". Unlike my physical desktop I like my virtual desktop to be pristinely organized. One of my solutions is to turn my monitor 90 degree so that it is taller then it is wide. I guess I like choices. For all the crap people give "that other company" for being proprietary and locked in. They sure did give me a lot of choices. Sure I was locked in (no more then Mac) but the jail cell sure did look nice (IMHO).

I don't know if you should bring up Fitts' Law. Windows is a good example of corners. Which is one of the little reason I liked full screen windows. If I wanted to close an app I could "slam" the mouse to the upper right corner. Because the mouse couldn't leave the screen I was already in the area and could then zero in very quickly. With the current system windows can be (and are) everywhere. There is a short delay while I target the necessary button. Windows also has context menus(right clicking) which puts applicable menu option within centimeters of the current mouse position. I wish I could find a way to use context menu on MacOS.

But alas I will keep soldering on in the hopes that soon I will find that magically feature that will win me over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'd suggest you complain to Apple.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

You're not going to win over too many people here. Most of us have tried it both ways and found we like Apple's way better. That's why we're here, and not on win-forums.com. :mac" You don't have to agree, but you'll only make enemies if you continue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Once again I will fall back to "personal preference". Unlike my physical desktop I like my virtual desktop to be pristinely organized. One of my solutions is to turn my monitor 90 degree so that it is taller then it is wide. I guess I like choices. For all the crap people give "that other company" for being proprietary and locked in. They sure did give me a lot of choices. Sure I was locked in (no more then Mac) but the jail cell sure did look nice (IMHO).

I don't know if you should bring up Fitts' Law. Windows is a good example of corners. Which is one of the little reason I liked full screen windows. If I wanted to close an app I could "slam" the mouse to the upper right corner. Because the mouse couldn't leave the screen I was already in the area and could then zero in very quickly. With the current system windows can be (and are) everywhere. There is a short delay while I target the necessary button. Windows also has context menus(right clicking) which puts applicable menu option within centimeters of the current mouse position. I wish I could find a way to use context menu on MacOS.

But alas I will keep soldering on in the hopes that soon I will find that magically feature that will win me over.
Where's the difficulty in getting a context menu? Just right click!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
One of my solutions is to turn my monitor 90 degree so that it is taller then it is wide.

It's interesting that widescreen monitors are so widespread now because it is easier to look left and right than up and down.

So you like one application to fill the whole screen and you like portrait monitors?? LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's interesting that widescreen monitors are so widespread now because it is easier to look left and right than up and down.

So you like one application to fill the whole screen and you like portrait monitors?? LOL

Yeap :) actually it is easier to read text if the lines are shorter (ala a newspaper column) it is also easier to read if the font has serifs.

Thanks for the tip to right clicking. Now the 64000 dollar question is how do I right click with a 1 button mouse? I have a USB mouse in when I am at work but when I am out in the plant I don't want to bring it with me. I heard somewhere that you can put 2 fingers on the pad and click but that didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Ctrl+Click

Or get a multi-button mouse.

To use the 2-Finger Click.. go into System prefs to set it up.
:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.