iMac with Surround sound...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently got a new 20" Intel iMac, however I can not seem to be able to use my existing 5.1 system. My speakers are the Creative P5800.

I have been looking at the various ports on the back of my iMac and I can't find a digital out, there are only two outputs for sound -- Input & Headphone port.

I have been reading the forums and various posts suggest that the "Belkin PureAV Digital Optical Cable with Mini-TOSLINK adapter" will do what I need, but I can't see where I would plug it if I should get one.

Thanks
Simon Thulbourn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
the iMac's do not support surround sound but if you get the belkin item you were talking about it may work. but i dont know anything about the belkin item so you would have to research that.

Jem

Reaction score
Hold on 1 second while I step in with some corrections here...

Firstly... the iMac DOES support surround sound, it just doesn't support the direct generation of surround sound in software. If I play a 5.1 DVD on my iMac I most certainly DO get Dolby Digital 5.1 (or dts depending on the disk) output!!

Secondly, the port for the Mini TOSLink cable is the headphone port - it's a dual purpose analogue / optical digital port. There's a small LED right at the back of the socket and an optical cable with the correct Mini TosLink plug certainly works as I have one hooked up at the moment to my Sony 5.1 amp.

I am not positive, but I think Firewave will allow you some surround sound in games or mixing your own sound but certainly for normal surround output from movies you don't need it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.