Need help to ditch VLC, get WMP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I recently moved and finally have a decent high speed connection. Some of the video sites I use like www.thatvideosite.com won't work without WMP. I tried flip4mac and the site doesn't recognize it or something. I can't install WMP for mac because every time I try my computer just opens VLC. Since I've never removed a program from my MBP, let alone one with embedded components like VLC, I need a little help.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh how i wish i was at home with my mac... this sounds like a challenge.

i can only speculate.

there are settings for flip4mac in your system preferences. perhaps there's something there that will help?

also you can change the default program for .wmv files if you've got a loose one on your system somewhere. just do a 'get info' on it and select the default program there and make sure the "do this for all programs of this type" checkbox is selected (not sure of the exact name of that selection).

i guess you could try app zapper to remove vlc, or do what i did with the iwork trial...

Reaction score
I recently moved and finally have a decent high speed connection. Some of the video sites I use like www.thatvideosite.com won't work without WMP. I tried flip4mac and the site doesn't recognize it or something. I can't install WMP for mac because every time I try my computer just opens VLC. Since I've never removed a program from my MBP, let alone one with embedded components like VLC, I need a little help.

I tested the website using Safari and the videos loaded with QuickTime and played fine.

Have a read of this as it may be a matter of missing codecs on your Mac:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=295318&postcount=6

This is worth a read and you can download the missing codecs:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Watch_AVI_Movies_in_Mac_OS_X

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I tested the website using Safari and the videos loaded with QuickTime and played fine.

Must be something with Firefox, Safari worked fine, although it was annoying that when I wanted to scroll down the screen while a video payed, I couldn't use my mouse scroll wheel because it scrolled through the video instead.

Reaction score
I just tested the site using FireFox (or BonEcho as it's called on my intel c2d) and the video played through QT just like in Safari....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't really help on the tech side - just info for those who can -
Just went to site also, I use Opera. Have Flip4Mac installed and also use VLC as my primary video player. All videos opened in QT and played fine.
Am wondering if Flip4Mac was installed properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.