Verizon FiOS Issues w/ AEBS

Reaction score
Hello All,

I got FiOS about 4 months ago and eliminated the Verizon supplied router the same day I got it. I had a Linksys RF router set up and I just plugged the FiOS cat 5 into the Linksys and reset the router. It has worked fine ever since.

So, after buying 2 MacBook Pros, I decided today to eliinate the Linksys and substitute an Airport Extreme. Big problems! I was able to set up the APE with no problems, and both MBP's conneted to it. The problem is no Internet! I called Aple, they seem to think there is a problem with the IP address, which this thread seems to indicate as well. I have a call in to Verizon, but past experience shows I might as well talk to myself!

Any ideas? I see someone said Verizon remotely relesed the lease on the DCHP, it looks like I can do this myself, but just wanted to get any input here. I would be a shame to take the APE back to Apple and keep using the Linksys, which is what I am doing now. Removed the APE, plugged in the old Linksys, everything is working like a champ! Go figure, I thought this Apple stuff was supposed to be simple!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I need help with this issue as well, but unfortunately i can't just pop my old router back in because it died. I am on a Verizion Wireless card right now.

Reaction score
Verizon FIOS and the Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS)

Hello All,

I got FiOS about 4 months ago and eliminated the Verizon supplied router the same day I got it. I had a Linksys RF router set up and I just plugged the FiOS cat 5 into the Linksys and reset the router. It has worked fine ever since.

So, after buying 2 MacBook Pros, I decided today to eliinate the Linksys and substitute an Airport Extreme. Big problems! I was able to set up the APE with no problems, and both MBP's conneted to it. The problem is no Internet! I called Aple, they seem to think there is a problem with the IP address, which this thread seems to indicate as well. I have a call in to Verizon, but past experience shows I might as well talk to myself!

Any ideas? I see someone said Verizon remotely relesed the lease on the DCHP, it looks like I can do this myself, but just wanted to get any input here. I would be a shame to take the APE back to Apple and keep using the Linksys, which is what I am doing now. Removed the APE, plugged in the old Linksys, everything is working like a champ! Go figure, I thought this Apple stuff was supposed to be simple!

Thanks.

FIOS is now installed at residences with an Actiontec router and if installed as per usual via a legacy coaxial wall connection (the old cable jack) then you must use the supplied router. All is not lost though as you can bridge another router to the ActionTec router via an ethernet cable going from the WAN port of the new router to the LAN port of the Actiontec. Below is a description of my setup and I hope it is helpful to anyone who might come across this thread:

Whatever you do - do not follow complicated and non-functioning instructions for turning your FIOS router into a bridge (they're all over the Internet, as are complaints... perhaps once valid, now they are outdated and don't work at all - don't touch your Verizon Actiontec router's settings). As I suspect many have done, I followed one set of instructions only to have wasted over 1.5 hours. You see the problem is that once you follow those instructions not only will the setup not function but also the "default" settings cannot just be re-initialized without problem (I wish someone else would have told me this - it was an assumption I had made). You end up having to contact Verizon for them to release and renew your DHCP lease for you (your router if like mine will get stuck and you will not be able to do this yourself). A huge pain in the butt. The reality is that in this snapshot in time all you need to do is literally plug your AEBS into one of the ActionTec LAN ports, configure your AEBS to work as though it is on a LAN and Bridged, and you're good to go after then just turning off the wireless signal on your Actiontec.

Other lessons learned are that
1) sometimes upon changing AEBS settings in the utility program (such as channel to use) the router disappears from view. All you need to do is push the pin-button for 1 second (no longer or you'll lose your settings) and it soft-reboots which then makes it appear. Someone else figured this out for me but I figured I'd post it here... seems that the manual soft boot does something important to bring the AEBS back online after nearly any configuration change.
2) perhaps obvious, but for whatever reason I had a senior moment about it, you need to realize the WEP password you create for the AEBS is case-sensitive. I couldn't get one of my 2 PCs to connect, and spent an embarrassing amount of time virtually getting Cisco certified in network knowledge only to realize I hadn't considered case-sensitivity of the password.
3) Setting up a USB Printer to work with AEBS and my two PC's (using Bonjour) was a piece of cake. You don't need to do anything funky with the latest firmware edition of AEBS. Just install Bonjour on your PC's after setting up the AEBS, and then use the Bonjour printer wizard to identify and configure. Simple as that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.