Bootcamp, oem XP or need retail version

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Was told at apple store by salesman that oem copy of xp would not work with bootcamp - of course he had other things wrong -
I have used oem copy with parallels, just wondering before I spend an hour or so installing and then it will not work.

And especially because I can buy another 200 gig drive and oem copy for same price as retail copy of xp.

Thanks

sorry if posted before, could not find on search

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since no one seemed to know, went ahead and gave it a shot with my existing slipstreamed oem copy since I am just rying to find out if I can purchase another oem or have to buy retail version.

Up and running in XP, downloaded and installed all the typical stuff you need with a fresh install. After several hours of using multiple programs just to check it out, all seems well except for not being able to get my bluetooth mouse working. Seems this is an issue with a lot of folks and no clear fix for it that I could find. Only found a couple of people who got it working and gave some cryptic (at least to me, yeah, yeah, I know, I'm just a point and click kind of guy) explanations related to the coreduo back in April, but have seen no responses to the issue related to the newer core2duos.

Will post back if I run into any other problems using on oem version.

Note: This is not an oem version supplied by a computer manufacturer - doubt seriously any of those disks wil work as the manufacturer has typically done their own modifications to the disk. This is a MS oem version available for purchase when you buy certain types of hardware, ex. new hard drives, motherboards, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.