.dmg files

L

luca

I downloaded an update for my G4 OS, currently running 10.1. I also have another file with a .dmg extension. I don't know what type of a file .dmg is, but I keep getting an error message. Something about not being able to run the file or something like that. Do I need a certain application to run/unzip/open these .dmg files?

OP
C

Chamorro

luca said:
I downloaded an update for my G4 OS, currently running 10.1. I also have another file with a .dmg extension. I don't know what type of a file .dmg is, but I keep getting an error message. Something about not being able to run the file or something like that. Do I need a certain application to run/unzip/open these .dmg files?

When I dbl-click a dmg (disk image) file, it mounts a new HD on the desktop on it's own. See if you can get Disk Utility (under Applications>Utilities) to mount the Image file for you. What is the exact error messge you're getting?

OP
L

luca

Chamorro said:
When I dbl-click a dmg (disk image) file, it mounts a new HD on the desktop on it's own. See if you can get Disk Utility (under Applications>Utilities) to mount the Image file for you. What is the exact error messge you're getting?

I found disk copy and it put another icon on the desktop. I was able to double click and open that up. there were about 20 files there. One was a Gzip archive file . I tried opening that, but it said there wasn't an application to open this file. The original file is the 10.1.5 update OS from Apple. I would think it should be pretty easy to update, but I guess I'm wrong. I'm used to running an .exe file and following the installation instructions on a pc. This seems more complicated than it should be.

OP
C

Chamorro

luca said:
I found disk copy and it put another icon on the desktop. I was able to double click and open that up. there were about 20 files there. One was a Gzip archive file . I tried opening that, but it said there wasn't an application to open this file. The original file is the 10.1.5 update OS from Apple. I would think it should be pretty easy to update, but I guess I'm wrong. I'm used to running an .exe file and following the installation instructions on a pc. This seems more complicated than it should be.

Did you see something ending with .app (or no extension at all)? That may be the installer.

Did you try to use Apple's Software Update to update your OS? That normally downloads and installs updates,
then gets rid of extraneous icons afterward.

If you need to open the gzip file, I'm not sure which application to use, but I think Stuffit Expander will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.