OS X hibernation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
I come from a Linux system with a feature called "software suspend" or "hibernation", which basically means that instead of going into sleep mode (with the RAM conserved, using battery power), it saves the RAM to disk and then turns off the computer completely.

It seems that that feature can't be activated explicitly on my MacBook, but I do know that the OS supports it, because that's exactly what it does when it runs out of juice during sleep. I've found at least one third-party app which exposes this function through a widget; I'd be interested to learn

1) what programs are available, good & bad points, and are they safe?
2) what's the proper term from this function in Mac terminology? Eases googling.*;)

On my Linux system I had the choice between sleep and hibernation, and I don't think I used sleep even once. Hibernation lets me turn my computer off, forget about it for days, and then turn it on to resume work where I left it. (Of course, getting things like this working at all on Linux requires quite a bit of luck - it was only when my laptop turned three years old that the Linux kernel caught up with it and sleep/hibernation actually started to work. ;))

Regards,
Johnny Andersson

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.