How do i drag items from the dock to desktop and make them go POOF??

Reaction score
for a lack of a better term how do i drag items from the dock and make them "poof" and disapear?

normally when i want to quit an application i have to click on the upper left corner and scroll down and "quit "

when i was at the store i saw someone do it but i forgot to ask them how to do it..

anyone ahve any ideas or know what im talking about?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you actually want to remove something from the dock, you do just that. drag it's icon from the dock and 'poof'.

edit:
thinking about it as i reread your post - are you talking about removing a shortcut or quitting an app?
it's two different things. if something that's not normally on your dock appears there while it's running, i don't think it's possible to do this. but if you have something on your dock, say itunes, and didn't want it there, all you have to do is drag the itunes icon from the dock, and 'poof', it's gone.

OP
M
Reaction score
if you actually want to remove something from the dock, you do just that. drag it's icon from the dock and 'poof'.

edit:
thinking about it as i reread your post - are you talking about removing a shortcut or quitting an app?
it's two different things. if something that's not normally on your dock appears there while it's running, i don't think it's possible to do this. but if you have something on your dock, say itunes, and didn't want it there, all you have to do is drag the itunes icon from the dock, and 'poof', it's gone.

its gone and how do i bring it back?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you know what you want to add back to the desktop open your applications folder, find the actual app in there, and drag to the dock where you want it to be placed. you'll actually see as you're holding it over the dock, other icons shifting out of the way wherever you hold it. drop it where you want it and there you go! the actual app will stay in the app folder and your shortcut/alias will be on the dock.

OP
M
Reaction score
if you know what you want to add back to the desktop open your applications folder, find the actual app in there, and drag to the dock where you want it to be placed. you'll actually see as you're holding it over the dock, other icons shifting out of the way wherever you hold it. drop it where you want it and there you go! the actual app will stay in the app folder and your shortcut/alias will be on the dock.

THANKS MAN! one more question if u dont mind :)

i downloaded the program "Transmission" for torrents...after downloading and installing it left two files on my desktop one titled "transmission-0.6.1.dmg" with an icon of a paper folded on the corner and one titled "transmission 0.6.1" with an icon of a smooth harddrive looking thing

in order to run the program i figured out that i have to click on "transmission 0.6.1" with the smooth white harddrive looking icon above it. this then opens up another window and i have to click on another icon in order for the program to start..

and then to get the icon of the program onto my dock i have to click n drag

now my question is this..

1.)
what am i supposed to do with the two files on my desktop? i thought i could just drag them into the "applications" folder but doing so still leaves a copy of the icon on my deskktop..

2.) how do i uninstall the program should i want to at a later date?

thanks eric!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the one that looks like a hard drive has to be ejected (i prefer to do this from the top left pane in finder, but you should be able to 'right-click' and do this, or drag it to the trash. once that's done, then the dmg file can be deleted - or if you want to archive it to a thumb or external drive or cd-rom, you could do that too and then delete the desktop copy.

no probelm! that's what we're all here for!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh, uninstall... let me dig up a link...

ok, edit:

basically all you need to do is delete the app from the applications folder, but sometimes it can be just a bit trickier. the second link has a good example i just went through to delete the iwork trial by hand, which turned out to be just a bit more complex - but still easier than windows.

here's a few:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46118

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48118

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24401

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
this then opens up another window and i have to click on another icon in order for the program to start..

and then to get the icon of the program onto my dock i have to click n drag

now my question is this..

1.)
what am i supposed to do with the two files on my desktop? i thought i could just drag them into the "applications" folder but doing so still leaves a copy of the icon on my deskktop..

2.) how do i uninstall the program should i want to at a later date?

Does the smooth white drive icon have an icon or an installer in it? If it's an icon, drag it into Applications. If it looks like a box opening, click on it and it will install the program into Applications for you.

Then you can drag the icon in Applications into your dock as a shortcut if you wish.

The two icons on your desktop can be dragged into Trash.

OP
M
Reaction score
Does the smooth white drive icon have an icon or an installer in it? If it's an icon, drag it into Applications. If it looks like a box opening, click on it and it will install the program into Applications for you.

Then you can drag the icon in Applications into your dock as a shortcut if you wish.

the smooth white drive icon has an icon....so what i did was i dragged it to the applications folder and even though its in my application folder i still see a physical copy of it on my desktop..

heres the thing

1.) i was told that dragging the icon into the trash bin will uninstall the program? id ont want to do that..

*edit*

thanks to eric! found a program in the link u gave me..its called appdelete...
however im still confused as to what to do with all the icons on my desktop...i notice when i try to drag the smooth icon looking thing in the trash, the trash icon transforms into an "eject button" what does this mean??

also

2.) once i drag the icon in applications is there anyway to automatically have it line up nicely with the rest of the apps in there so that i don thave to physically arrange it so it lines up with the rest of the columns and rows of apps?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm guessing you're still in icon view.

on top of the finder window there are three little boxes stuck together, the first should have squares, the second lines, ad the third connected rectangles (i think). click the second one, and it will line everything up vetically. if you like that, cool. if not, click the first again and you'll have your icons back, and i would venture to guess that they will be nicely lined up.

OP
M
Reaction score
i'm guessing you're still in icon view.

on top of the finder window there are three little boxes stuck together, the first should have squares, the second lines, ad the third connected rectangles (i think). click the second one, and it will line everything up vetically. if you like that, cool. if not, click the first again and you'll have your icons back, and i would venture to guess that they will be nicely lined up.

eric i can always count on u!! haha

ok it does work...

however..

1.)
the second box with the lines when i click on that it creates a single vertical list of my applications..when i click back on the first box with the squares all the applications are lined up nicely BUT..how do i get it to be in alphabetical order?

the applications by default are in alphabetical order and they still are, but the applications i had to manually add are at the bottom of the list and are all out of order.

2.)

also
im still confused as to what to do with all the icons on my desktop...i notice when i try to drag the smooth icon looking thing in the trash, the trash icon transforms into an "eject button" what does this mean??

OP
M
Reaction score

alexis, i just figured something else out..

the smooth white icon has an icon/installer in it when u click on it...

the other icon with the folded paper looking thing looks like a box opening..however when i click on it, it does NOT automatically add itself into my applications folder?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
dragging something to the trash and having the eject icon appear means that it is "mounted" as a sort of virtual drive. this is how dmg files work. you can drag it to the trash and it will "eject" or unmount the virtual drive/folder.
then you should be able to delete the actual file.

OP
M
Reaction score
2.)

also
im still confused as to what to do with all the icons on my desktop...i notice when i try to drag the smooth icon looking thing in the trash, the trash icon transforms into an "eject button" what does this mean??

dragging something to the trash and having the eject icon appear means that it is "mounted" as a sort of virtual drive. this is how dmg files work. you can drag it to the trash and it will "eject" or unmount the virtual drive/folder.
then you should be able to delete the actual file.

ok so dragging a dmg file onto the "trash turned into eject button" will only delete the file right??

it wont uninstall the program?

alll i want to do is to have a clean desktop and im having a hard time figuring out how to organize everything :(

heres what i understand so far...if i click on the smooth icon looking thing it opens up the folder in which the program is located...here i can see an actual icon for the program and various other misc. files etc.

if i click on the folded paper looking thing a box opens up and the same thign happens.

what i am confused about is how to organize this so my desktop looks clean..

also i want to know how to alphabetize my apps folder..

=(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display

Or, you can simply double-click on the app in the Applications folder. This allows OS X to select FOR YOU a [temporary] place in the Dock.

The temporary loading of the app can then be made permanent by clicking and holding on the icon until you see a popup menu, then selecting "Keep in Dock."

If you want to remove an icon from the Dock just click on it and quickly drag it onto your Desktop.

Poof!

If you're not big on manual functions there's also a "Remove From Dock" item on the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
c. 2003 PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz; 3GB RAM; NVIDIA FX 5200 Ultra w/Apple 20" Display
ok so dragging a dmg file onto the "trash turned into eject button" will only delete the file right??

it wont uninstall the program?

alll i want to do is to have a clean desktop and im having a hard time figuring out how to organize everything :(

heres what i understand so far...if i click on the smooth icon looking thing it opens up the folder in which the program is located...here i can see an actual icon for the program and various other misc. files etc.

if i click on the folded paper looking thing a box opens up and the same thign happens.

what i am confused about is how to organize this so my desktop looks clean..

also i want to know how to alphabetize my apps folder..

=(

OK if I put in my two-cent's-worth?

When you download a file to OS X the most common result is a DMG image.

Double-clicking the DMG image (folded paper with a disk on it) will unload the file for installation.

When the BOM Archive installer window appears select the install destination (usually either Apps or Utilities) and click Install. Sometimes there's more to it, but just follow the prompts and you can't miss.

Immediately after the installer has run you'll see a long, white "ghost" drive image on your desktop, which will be under the icon for your hard drive.

At this point, don't do ANYTHING but restart your machine!

When your system comes back up you'll see that the "ghost" icon has vanished and all that remains of the installation is the DMG image file you started out with.

To remove the DMG image from your Desktop you can simply drag it into the can.

I always copy images to Documents where they'll be included in the next incremental backup; never know when you may be forced to do a reinstall of OS X, upon which all your aftermarket software image files will be needed in order to get your system back up to speed.

BTW, in case you have mistakenly reopened a DMG image partaining to software already installed and opened the installer script again. . . but don't want to continue, you can remove the "ghost" drive from your Desktop without restarting, by going to Finder and under (I think) File, clicking "Unmount Image," or similar.

That makes nice on everything and you're back to being a happy camper.

OS X is a very forgiving system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.