"MBP won't stay awake with external monitor, help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've seen this come up before, but I couldn't find the post.

When I try to use my external keyboard, mouse and monitor, with the MBP closed, it keeps going back to sleep when I wake it up.

I went to the "genius" bar and the guy just sent me a link to tell me how to connect BT keyboard, mouse and monitor, even after I told him exactly how I was doing it which was the exact same as the directions. After that he said I could leave it with him to "play with for a few days". WHAT???

Anyone remember or had this problem that can help me? You will be a true "genius".

Thanks.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Is it on main power, I think it is, but just checking.

Reaction score
That's the only thing I could think of ... you have to have the power cord plugged in. If you have monitor, mouse, screen, and power all plugged in the machine shouldn't go to sleep unless you tell it to. And then it should wake back up if you press a keyboard button or click the mouse.

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes i forget to plug in the power adapter. Are you doing the same? Its a simple misteak, and I dont know why its required.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Exactly the problem, I wish it would just work without the adapter though. I don't understand why it won't

Reaction score
Because the cooling fans probably are going to be working harder, so you need the external power.

ed724

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.