Am I a total spaz? There's no backspace key?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Okay, my new (lovely, beautiful ) MacBook has no backspace key? Am I lost or do I have to learn to do without? I'm a bit addicted to the backspace key, ya'll. LOL.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
fn (lower left hand corner) and delete.

actually delete is backspace, and fn+delete is delete (ahead).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
All mac users are perfect typers and make 0% error.

jk, but the backspace is basically the delete key where a typical backspace would be.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
Okay, thanks, I am a spaz. How could I not have noticed that?! You two just made my week! Now, how was I supposed to figure out the fn+delete key thing? I need a "new Mac users for the clueless guide". I've checked out the switches guides, etc, here and they are very helpful don't get me wrong. But you can guess where I'm starting at if I can't find the delete and backspace keys. And no, I'm not over 65 yrs old, lol. I have to chuckle a bit at the advice to download 3rd party software and check my harddrive space when I can't even figure out how to toggle between open windows and why things keep disappearing off the dock. Good thing I look at all this as a challenge.

BTW, your two siggy lines really made me smile. Mine is so dorky. I have no imagination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Welcome Becky!! I'm pretty new to macs myself. It's fun learning something new everyday with my macbook :)

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Thanks for this tip!
fn (lower left hand corner) and delete.

actually delete is backspace, and fn+delete is delete (ahead).

I guess I have too much Windows in me, I make enough mistakes for all of us :)
All mac users are perfect typers and make 0% error.

jk, but the backspace is basically the delete key where a typical backspace would be.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
This thread has 33,000+ views. Very interesting, even though it's an old thread. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
This thread has 33,000+ views. Very interesting, even though it's an old thread. :p

33,000+ people must've been very annoyed when they got their Mac. I can just picture it.

"Hey! My keyboard is broken! Apple forgot the backspace key!" ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Well, I'm a noob Mac user and I read most of the posts in the Swtcher Hangout looking for gems like this one. i was disappointed when I realized the MBP did not have both backspace and delete.

What I miss most about a Win7 computer is the Windows key + an arrow key. THis puts the active window on the right, left, top or bottom of the screen.(depending on the arrow pressed)

33,000+ people must've been very annoyed when they got their Mac. I can just picture it.

"Hey! My keyboard is broken! Apple forgot the backspace key!" ;D

Reaction score
Another option is to get the full size external keyboard. It has both back delete and forward delete keys. Very nice if you'll be trying to boot Windows for any reason. Maybe this'll help the next 33,000 readers !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.