Reinstalling programs from install disks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
If I wanted to get rid of some programs, like quicktime, to free up some hard drive space, can I reinstall them from the OS X disk if I ever wanted to?

Reaction score
If you want to remove QuickTime you can download the most recent version anytime you like from the Apple website.

Quicktime is needed, though, for iTunes to function as well as a some other programs and is a team player in the integration of OS X.

OP
plusfortyfour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
What can I get rid from the pre-installed software that isn't needed?

Reaction score
If you delete an app from the install disc and decide you need it later, then you can perform an Archive and Install which will install os x but leave all your personal files intact. I'm not so sure about the 3rd Party stuff, though.

Have a look at your Applications folder and see what's there and do some considering about whether or not you're likely to use it.

You can always post back if you're unsure about anything.

How big is your HD? What are you going to be doing that brings about the need to free up existing space?

Have you considered an external HD?

Just some thoughts....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.