New MBP owner! Some questions about Superdrive, etc.

Reaction score
Okay, I just received my MBP (2.33 C2D, 15inch) through a "configure to order" through CompUSA.

First of all, this thing is beautiful. When I turned down the lights and the keyboard lit up, I stood open mouthed for a good few seconds.

The very first task I put this thing to was installing Diablo 2 because I had an urge to play. I noticed it took waaay longer to install than on Windows, but that's alright. I was also a little sad to see it wouldn't run under hardware rendering, so I have to use software rendering.

My question though is about the Superdrive...it seems like a great thing but I swear it seems like it's not working correctly.

Is it NORMAL to have to push the disc in almost ALL the way in before the drive takes in the disc? I have to put mine in to the point where maybe an inch is still out of the drive, and then it takes the disc. It also makes a couple loud clacking noises, like a gear clicking, and and then will "rev" up and down a few times before anything happens.

Hopefully that is normal behavior.

Also, I read somewhere someone recommended a program that helped to control the fans in the MBP, what program was it? I never expected the heat to be what it is...I've been using a HP laptop for over a year and the heat was only kinda bad around the fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
perfectly normal to push it in that much, mine is the same.

smc fan control.

have fun

Reaction score
I just tested my drive and I also need to push a disc almost all the way in, so it seems that your drive is normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
My drive does the same thing- it's very loud at first, but I don't care- it works great.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Or try Fan Control, you set the minimum speed of the fans and the threasholds and it does the rest. Keep the fan RPM under 3500.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.