Mac Mini Intel, Windows & Gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
I'm thinking of replacing my old 1.42 GHz eMac and buying a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac Mini.

With my mini I'd quite like to be able to run windows and using windows run certain games like Battlefield 2 and the like.

How would this 1.66 Mac fair up against a PC of equivalent spec when playing demanding games like BF2? Would I be able to run windows as quickly as something designed to run windows?

Would this dual core Mac Mini with 64 MB of VRAM be better at playing BF2 than my 1.86 (not dual core) Windows machine with 128 MB of VRAM?

just interested.. :yinyang:

eloquence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I'm thinking of replacing my old 1.42 GHz eMac and buying a 1.66GHz Core Duo Mac Mini.

With my mini I'd quite like to be able to run windows and using windows run certain games like Battlefield 2 and the like.

How would this 1.66 Mac fair up against a PC of equivalent spec when playing demanding games like BF2? Would I be able to run windows as quickly as something designed to run windows?

Would this dual core Mac Mini with 64 MB of VRAM be better at playing BF2 than my 1.86 (not dual core) Windows machine with 128 MB of VRAM?

just interested.. :yinyang:

eloquence.
it will run windows as fast as a pc with windows of the same specs.

I've heard that the vram varries according to what the apps needs, all the way to 280MB. I cant confirm that info though. So if you get it max out the RAM.

OP
eloquence
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
Kay! Thanks for the reply. I've read the VRAM is 64 on both minis and the default ammount of RAM is 512.. sooo.. yeah.

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Mini, but if it lacks a discrete video card it will perform poorly running any kind of graphics-intensive game. It isn't a function of VRAM, it's a function of having a separate dedicated video processor with enough power to handle gaming.

edited to add: This has absolutely nothing to do with Mac OS X. You'd almost certainly need to run from WinXP via Boot Camp, in which case your Mac really is a PC with the same specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would suggest getting an iMac and not a mini if you want to run games like bf2. the graphics aren;t too good for games on the mini. especialy the one you pointed out you may be interested in.

i run bf2 on medium settings on my imac and it runs fine. havn;t tried high settings yet but i guess it would be ok.

if you install xp on an intel mac with bootcamp it will run the same speed as it would if you had those specs on a PC.

hope this helps
chris

OP
eloquence
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
Yeah, but I'm a bit tight for money.. buying an iMac might prove difficult on my budget. Besides, I've just bought a 19" LCD monitor, and an iMac wouldn't really need that would it. :p

Just another question. Would my current PC (1.83 GHz CPU (no dual core), 128 MB of VRAM, 512 RAM) be better or worse at playing BF2 than the basic Mac Mini from Apple?

Reaction score
If your PC has a discrete video card, it would be better assuming BF2 will run on a 1.83 ... otherwise, it will be worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
What I said in my other post is not on apples website. I read it in another thread.

Also the core2duo version of the mini will be out soon and i'm sure they will put better graphics in it.

Reaction score
Looking at the Apple site, it says the mini uses an Intel GMA 950 graphics processor. This is the same on-board processor used in the C2D MacBook. So while it's certainly possible that Apple will upgrade the mini's graphics processor to a discrete card, they are obviously willing to keep the Intel on-board chip in C2D systems for economics.

OP
eloquence
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
What I said in my other post is not on apples website. I read it in another thread.

Also the core2duo version of the mini will be out soon and i'm sure they will put better graphics in it.

but then won't the price go up?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.