Is there a way to make the DVD player in the macbook region free?

Reaction score
I just got a macbook and I travel to the uk regularly. Is there a way to make the DVD player in the mac region free? I need to play region 1 and region 2 DVDs. THanks

Q

quackbook

when i first got my macbook, it wouldn't play DVDs in front row because of the region problem.

then i openned the dvd player in applications folder and it set the region for me

ever since then, i have been able to play DVDs in front row without any problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, same thing here. Just yesterday I bought my wife a Macbook, and while she was oohing and aaahing about front row and the Apple remote (while my remote's battery died on me) we put in a DVD which was the first time any DVD had been played on that Mac. It said that the DVD was the incorrect reigon in Front Page, which really kind of blew the whole demo I was giving her.

But fired up DVD Player so it could set the region (1) and Front Row proceeded to work like it is supposed to.

Though the VLC playing DVDs might come in handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
so by using VLC to play DVDs does not "eat up" how many time you change the region code??

Reaction score
Playing a DVD using VLC is the equivalent of Region Free. So you don't have to worry about ever having to change your region code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
Reaction score
But VLC doesn't work with all drives. For one, the iMac G5 with iSight has a drive that cannot be overridden by VLC :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
so just load the DVD in the slot and use the VLC to play the DVD??

How do you turn off the auto-run function?? or How to stop the mac to choose whatever region the inserted DVD is?

Sorry to sound like a noob....

Reaction score
Go to System Prefs>CD's & DVD's and set it so when you insert a DVD nothin' happens (ignore), then you can select which app you really want to use which is VLC.

Those other matters are irrelevant once DVD is disabled and you're just using VLC.

...and keep on askin' em if you got 'em, forget being a noob, we all still are in our own individual respects. Feel free to also search around for any answers as lot's of questions have already been asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
Thanks mate!!

I had a stab around after the post and find what you described in "System Pref">CDs & DVDs> then set "insert DVD" to "ignore"...hahaha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.33Ghz Core2Duo, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb HardDisk, X1600 256Mb & I LOVE Every Inch of her
VLC on the new intel based macs is not region free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB memory and 80GB hard drive, iPhone 8GB
i'm recent switcher (4 days), i would love for this problem to be solved. I tried searching but most of the threads i found end with a question about something not working. So, i'm hoping somebody will put an end to it here.

I tried ripping with MacTheRipper but nothing happens when i try playing the VOB file with VLC and i can't seem to choose another player.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
As for now it does not work. I use DVDshrink on my old PC to get around the region troubles.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
Well, hypothetically, Mac the Ripper does not care about region codes or so I'm told, after its ripped, re-burn it region free.

Of course I'm not suggesting you DO that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.