PowerBook Duo 280c Need Assistance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
As some of you may know, this notebook is old, but despite its age it is still a lovely computer to use.

Currently I'm running Mac OS 7.1.1 and I want to upgrade to Mac OS 8, this is proving very difficult as the PowerBook only comes with an external Floppy disk drive.

I've scanned the internet, and I can't find any copies of Mac OS 8 on floppies, there are only CD ROM copies available. I've also looked at the laptop's capabilities and it clearly states "Minimum OS: System 7.1.1, Maximum OS: Mac OS 8.1" Now, basically I need help putting that into practice.

In short terms, my basic question to you is: "How do I install Mac OS 8 on a Mac with no CD ROM drive?"

Thankyou, eloquence.:yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
is an external CD rom drive an option. I assume you will need a converter cable to be able to connect the drive to your laptop, but I cant think of another way.
good luck
-d

OP
eloquence
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
I have a SCSI lead with the old (massive) connector, but no CD ROM drive to connect to it. I could look into buying one on ebay, but I'm not sure if it would work..

Thanks for the reply anyway :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
OP
eloquence
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac G4
OK, I downloaded the image files for 7.5.3 on my Tiger eMac, fine.. I wrote each image file using a USB floppy drive on my eMac, individually transferring them onto the HDD of my Duo.

When all the extracted files were resting safely in the HD of the Duo, I clicked on the first file entitled "System 7.5.3 01 of 19.smi" and it comes up with an error:

The application program "System 7.5.3 01 of 19.smi" could not be opened, because an error of type -39 occurred.

The first one is the only .smi application file, all the others are .part files so I presumed the smi would refere to the other .parts... seems like I'm mistaken.

Has anyone done these updates before on their vintage mac using floppy?

Help would be brill!

eloquence.:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.