Macs and HP All in Ones

Z

ZeshinX

To Mac users, this is meant simply as a warning.

Avoid HP All-in-One printers. Seriously. The drivers made for the Mac OS's are terrible in the extreme. Most ink-based printers work fairly well, but AVOID AT ALL COSTS HP All-in-One LaserJet printers. Specifically, the LaserJet 3300 series and the LJ 3200m. These units are utter garbage on Macs. I'm not kidding. They are absolutely awful.

Just FYI and use these junk piles at your own risk.

OP
W

WilliS

i have a HP 1200 all in one....and its a great printer i believe....

whats so horrible about them?

10.3 had the drivers already built in for it...i just plugged it in and it worked....so i didnt see any driver issues....

OP
Z

ZeshinX

DualG5Lova said:
i have a HP 1200 all in one....and its a great printer i believe....

whats so horrible about them?

10.3 had the drivers already built in for it...i just plugged it in and it worked....so i didnt see any driver issues....

The LJ 1200 is a great printer, though it's not an all-in-one. It's about the only one I actually like. Works well.

As I mentioned, most of the AiO inkjets are decent enough, though many of the features are Windows-only (though not mentioned on the box). It's the LJ 3300 series that are the real pieces of crap. The entire line has this nasty habit of spontaneously powering off mid-way through printing.

To get the things printing standard 8.5 x 11 pages with no special settings on Macs, no problem. To get them to actually allow scanning, custom paper types, printing from any Adobe apps, etc is the real area where these units show their utter crappiness. Mosey on over to HP's website and check out the 'full functionality' install method. Oh, by the way, it's wrong. Do it the way listed on the site, and it won't work. Trust me on this.

The Apple PPDs and drivers work. The HP drivers are crap. If you want to buy HP, do it. I won't stop ya. I'm just here letting you know that you'll be in for headaches with these things. Trust me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.