Problem installing DDR2 Ram

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1 GB stick of memory, DDR2-667 (manufactured by PNY) and I can't get it to fit inside the slot. I checked an re checked various sources and this appears to be compatible with my macbook. I've tried "firm" pressure but I'm almost positive if I used anymore force I'd break something. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the memory module is thicker than the stock memory module that came with my Black macbook. I don't have a tech background so the best way I can describe is that the unit has "black square things" on both sides whereas the modules already in place only have them on one side. Yea, I don't know the correct terminology. In any event, is this normal? Thanks for the help!

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
OK so you bought a 1GB stick from PNY and want to install it. First of all, I know this sounds dumb, but are you taking on of the other sticks out?

Also I think the MacBook needs to have the same amount of RAM in each slot. I would like to highlight I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
the macbook DOES NOT have to have the same amount in both slots.. BUT it DOES perform better when that is the case. oh you have to have both slots occupied just so you know.

OP
A
Reaction score
Both slots were occupied. One slot has the original 256 MB memory module, the other one I attempted to install the new 1 GB stick I purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you check the guide to installing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Don't force it, take the memory back and buy different memory. I had this issue and ruined a macbook....

t

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Ba#%(d at my local shop said they did, I didnt buy it. I went for the pro but it would be nice to be advised correctly.

Reaction score
I too bought the 1GB PNY brand. The "thicker" board that the module is built on has been described as such in user reviews when I went shopping for mine.

I too used *firm* force when trying to get the modules in. If I hadn't read other users' accounts, I would have backed off thinking I would break them.

However I will not try to persuade you to proceed. The "force" we each describe is subjective, and could very well be caused by something else entirely.

Only insight I can give you is that I had the Macbook on a table, straight up on a towel (for scratches), and while almost hugging the computer for greater control, pushing STRAIGHT DOWN with the other hand.

Use your own judgment, good luck, and have fun with that extra memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you get it out then? haha

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey cvx5832! Thanks for the response. So you purchased the same Ram module and you were able to seat it properly in the slot? I feel I've applied as much pressure possible. I don't want to severely damage my macbook! I'm thinking of stopping by the local Apple store. Although this is 3rd party memory I'm hoping they might be willing to help me out.

I'm also going to try calling PNY support. I read on their support pages that the placement of IC's, or the little black boxes on the module can affect installation. I just feel like the PNY module is just too fat! How long did it take before you were able to squeeze yours in?

Thanks!

Reaction score
To put some reference on how much force was used, the tips of my three fingers had deep indentations on them after I got the memory in. Not sure how else to describe it. However like I said, if YOU feel that it's all that the MacBook/RAM module can take - safer to just back off. Too much at stake.

As this seems to be a common issue with third party modules (at least with the PNY ones), good idean to call PNY support. I can imagine that several customers may have already given them a call about this, and may have the best solution (if any) to get through tight-fitting modules.

Check out reviews for 5300/5400 replacement modules at Compusa and Newegg to start. You'll see how a tight fit seems to be on a lot of reviews.

NOTE - of course all of this assumes that the orientation of the module (use the notch for reference) is correct.

Reaction score
i own a 1gig of centon ram and 1 gig of PNY. both are the exact same specs you have stated since i am using them in my macbook and they both went in without a hassle. snapped in just like OEM ram fitment. no problems whatsoever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MB CD 1.25Gb
i bought a PNY 1GB stick for $89 from BB and i didn't really have any problems installing it. I had to use a little pressure but it went in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.