Airport On While MBP Closed

Reaction score
I did a search for "airport closed" and "airport macbook pro" but I couldn't find it, so sorry if this has been addressed.

I would like to keep my airport (internet) turned on while my mbp screen is closed. Both while power plugged in or out.

There has to be a way to do it.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I use my MBP connected to my TV like this. The book is closed and I have a keyboard and monitor connected. As far as I know this is he only way.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the way ??? has it set up is pretty much the only way to do it.

Reaction score
There is a utility called "InsomniaX" that will disable Sleep mode (which is what a MBP uses when you close the lid) but according to the latest version notes, it is not compatible with Intel Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
insomniaX is compatible with intel macs. i use it on my MBP all the time

Reaction score
What version of OS X are you using?

From their website:

InsomniaX
14. Jul 2006 64 comments

Version: 0.3

Description:
Warning: Does not work on Intel Macs running 10.4.8

OP
W
Reaction score
I am running 10.4.8

:-(

Why would apple not make this a little check box?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Its to do with cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Keeping the airport on wouldn't keep the computer hot at all.

I will figure this out.
Actually, it would. Doing so would require the HD to remain active, the processor active and the RAM active as well (the three main sources of heat in a notebook) so the signal can still be received and allow packets/data to be transmitted and received via the WiFi connection. Otherwise, the connection would be dormant and there would be no benefit to keeping the WiFi active on its own.
Don't also forget that the AirPort card is a huge battery drainer and when the battery is in use it too creates heat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am running 10.4.8, and it works fine for me.

OP
W
Reaction score
I am so used to my windows laptop that I can close and keep the internet running.

Reaction score
waymon -- I promise you, even if you close the lid of your Mac, the Internet will keep running. :)

OP
W
Reaction score
waymon -- I promise you, even if you close the lid of your Mac, the Internet will keep running. :)

I tried the program and it didn't work. it is kind of annoying...I really wish this was an option. Hopefully when 10.5 is released soon it will have this option!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I doubt Apple will ever include that as an option. The issue just boils down to heat problems. It's just not a good idea to keep your laptop running with the lid closed because the heat builds up and it greatly reduces the life expectancy of your Macbook.

OP
W
Reaction score
I doubt Apple will ever include that as an option. The issue just boils down to heat problems. It's just not a good idea to keep your laptop running with the lid closed because the heat builds up and it greatly reduces the life expectancy of your Macbook.

Nuts.

Reaction score
What about running in "clamshell" mode, then? I'm doing that all the time. Are you saying that running that way is bad for the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What about running in "clamshell" mode, then? I'm doing that all the time. Are you saying that running that way is bad for the machine?

Yes, running in clamshell mode is worse for the machine. Heat = death for electronic components. The more heat you have, the quicker they wear out. Clamshell mode causes alot more heat build-up so, in theory, your machine will not live as long as one that is not used that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
schweb is right in theory. i suspect though that if you use a program like smc fancontrol, and just crank the fans up a little bit, then the heat problem would be offset. just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.