My new Macbook!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just got my first mac. I've been a pc guy for the last 20 years. I'm a system administrator, that just got bored of the pc world, and decided to switch. I ended up buying the 1.83Ghz macbook core duo (refurb). I ordered it on Dec. 25, and received on Dec. 28 (10am). I can't believe how quickly it came. On top of that, they sent me a 2.0 ghz with 80Gb harddrive. I'm loving the guys at apple!

Well, enough with my blabbing. My question is : I have VPN access for work on my pc. Is it possible to use VPN software through parallels, once I install xp? I need it for work, but I'm not sure how flexible parallels is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

M

MacHeadCase

Congrats on the new acquisition!

You might not need to use the Windows side to connect. Windows - Join the network:

Stay Connected with VPN
Many employers now let you work from home and use a DSL or cable modem to connect to the corporate network in order to collaborate with your colleagues over email or share files. But to protect the network from unwanted guests, companies often create a virtual private network (VPN), which requires additional software and configuration. Mac OS X Tiger is VPN-ready right out of the box and even supports VPN on demand, which connects and disconnects securely to the network as needed. ...

Worse case scenario would be for you to check out these apps so you could work natively in Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, you likely won't even need Windows to connect to your VPN.

I would suggest using the Mac without installing Windows on it for at least a month. That way, you actually get a chance to learn the Mac OS without that "crutch".
:black:

After all, you were bored with Windows and decided to get a Mac... what's with the big rush to install Windows so soon?
icon12.gif

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, you likely won't even need Windows to connect to your VPN.

I would suggest using the Mac without installing Windows on it for at least a month. That way, you actually get a chance to learn the Mac OS without that "crutch".

After all, you were bored with Windows and decided to get a Mac... what's with the big rush to install Windows so soon?
icon12.gif

Good to know. Thanks for the advise. I'll play around with the VPN function in mac o/s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Congratulations. I am a recent "switcher" as well. I am still learning but I am getting used to it. I got a the Core 2 Duo Macbook for Christmas and I think its the best gift I ever got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz macbook, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Just got my macbook yesterday. First mac since my apple 2e. So far I love it. Everything is nice and easy. Only complaint I have so far is that stuff gets lost at times, windows and such. some windows I close take too many clicks to get back. But minor complaints so far. I'll be putting vista on it very soon as well.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome and good luck with your new macbook!

here's the boilerplate...

a few apps to check out:
unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).

also, these threads are fun for anecdotal reference:
A quick summary of my problems. Read this if you're a new switcher!

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software

macbook games
what games are working on your macbook

macbook hard drive space
check this thread out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz
Wow thanks Eric, DeLocalizer freed up like 3gigs on my HD, I never even thought about stuff like that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.